Richzz89

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Medical
I was wondering if after people take the MCAT prep course if they take the actual exam right away or wait a certain amount of time to study on their own. I've heard that after the prep course ends some people start taking the AAMC practice test to judge their relative scores and then take the actual exam. I was wondering what you think would work best and what is a good amount of time to self study after the prep course. I don't want to have to little time to take the practice AAMC test and self study or too much time that I start forgetting things from the prep course. What worked for you? What advice would you give knowing what you know now?

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
I was wondering if after people take the MCAT prep course if they take the actual exam right away or wait a certain amount of time to study on their own. I've heard that after the prep course ends some people start taking the AAMC practice test to judge their relative scores and then take the actual exam. I was wondering what you think would work best and what is a good amount of time to self study after the prep course. I don't want to have to little time to take the practice AAMC test and self study or too much time that I start forgetting things from the prep course. What worked for you? What advice would you give knowing what you know now?
Three to four weeks from your last lecture until your MCAT is about right. It gives you ample time to take about six to eight full length exams once you're fully reviewed, without too much burnout or forgetfullness risk. It also depends on the course. Make sure they have office hours during those three to four weeks, because that's when you'll need them most. Some courses have open sessions that follow their lecture series where they review practice exams. I can't emphasize enough how helpful those sessions and extended office hours are. If your course has that, then three weeks is fine.