MCAT and application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

If I am hoping to submit my application by the first week of June, when is it the latest that I can take my MCAT (I am willing to submit my application before knowing my score)? Does the score have to be released before AAMC verifies our application? Or can I submit the rest of my application on June 1st and have my MCAT score submitted let's say June 21st?

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to get answers all over the place. There is no definite answer, but the general rule is sooner is always better. However, a high MCAT score will always trump an early application. In the past many applicants will submit their application to one school where they have no interest in attending. This will start the application process and verification of your grades. Once you get your score back you can add more schools or not depending on how satisfied you are with your score.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you started studying yet? Take the MCAT when you feel prepared and do not rush to take it just to apply early.

Hi everyone!

If I am hoping to submit my application by the first week of June, when is it the latest that I can take my MCAT (I am willing to submit my application before knowing my score)? Does the score have to be released before AAMC verifies our application? Or can I submit the rest of my application on June 1st and have my MCAT score submitted let's say June 21st?

Hey lost, here's your answer:

- You can submit your application on June **7th**; however, when you do, only apply to 1 school that you know you're going to apply to regardless of what your MCAT score will be (e.g. an in-state school). Your app is going to be submitted, and the AAMC is going to verify your application.

- When you get your scores back in July, you can simply add whatever schools you want to your application. No extra processing time--you just pay for the app fee at those schools. The schools you submit to in July are the ones that'll "match" your MCAT score.

That being said, the only downside to this is that if you do terribly on the MCAT, then you're going to be flushing the AMCAS & original school fee down the toilet.. though, it might be worth it to apply as early as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
- You can submit your application on June 1st; however, when you do, only apply to 1 school that you know you're going to apply to regardless of what your MCAT score will be (e.g. an in-state school). Your app is going to be submitted, and the AAMC is going to verify your application.

Yes, this is very important. I'm not sure exactly how schools phrase the question, but say you apply to one school and don't like your MCAT score. At that point, I believe you can either withdraw your application, continue and interview (if offered one), and then get an offer. So if you didn't like the school to begin with, you would be stuck there if you get an offer because if you turn down an offer - well, that's very looked down upon for future cycles and you're not likely to get another offer. Again, I'm not sure how med schools ask this question but they certainly do.

If you get rejected, that also looks bad on future applications. It may be attenuated by the fact that it was because your MCAT wasn't high enough or something but again I'm not sure how schools ask this question so you may not get the chance to explain.

But in the end, if you don't get your target MCAT score and only end up applying to a few schools and get an offer, at least you will be an MD!

Reactions: 1 user
Though I do not recommend this, as it varies for everyone (like someone had mentioned earlier), my boyfriend took the MCAT (old one) in August and submitted his application in September. It was pretty late but under his circumstances, i.e. crushing the MCAT, ~4.0 science and overall GPA, veteran, he was able to get interviews from Georgetown, UC Davis, UNC-Chapel Hill, UW-Seattle (his first choice), and I feel like I might be missing one?? Anyway, he ultimately got offered an acceptance at UNC and UW, wait-listed at the others, and now we're living in Seattle, which is so much easier since we're both from WA, :).

Now, I ENVY him, and I've made the mistake of taking the MCAT when I wasn't ready, so, be PREPARED, get ready, and if you have to take it at a later date, I think you will be fine, esp. if you have outstanding credentials..

Good luck!!

**edit** other school was Case Western!! Not that it's important but it was on the tip of my tongue and it was bugging me. Also, he applied to 22-23 schools.

Would it be late if I submit my application in July when I get my score back? I just dont want to apply without knowing my MCAT score. Would other med schools that you did not apply to know if you withdrew an application?