MCAT and application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwang1990216

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools wait for your future MCAT retake before sending out interview invites? If I only want a certain number of schools to consider my new MCAT,is it possible to leave the MCAT section in primary app unchanged and send update only those schools that I want to consider the new score?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to your first question is yes.

With regards to your second question, absolutely not. If you plan on retaking the MCAT you must indicate it on your AMCAS app, including the date. Failure to do so is deception. The reason? How would you feel, as an adcom member, if you just sent an interview invite to a candidate just to find out that they retook the MCAT (without notifying you) and got a lower score? Maybe that first score was on the borderline but this new one would've led them to not send you an interview invite. Furthermore, even if you didn't get a lower score, you still deceived the school. The MCAT is a crucial part of your app. Schools hold off on making decisions until they receive your most up to date score. Any attempt to do something behind their back is a great way to get a rejection letter.

The answer to your first question is yes.

With regads to your second question, absolutely not. If you plan on retaking the MCAT you must indicate it on your AMCAS app, including the date. Failing to do so is deception. The reason? How would you feel, as an adcom member, if you just sent an interview invite to a candidate just to find out that they retook the MCAT (without notifying you) and got a lower score? Even if you didn't get a lower score, you still did not notify the school. The MCAT is a crucial part of your app. Schools hold off on making decisions until they receive your most up to date score. Any attempt to do something behind their back is a great way to get a rejection letter.

This reply is both correct and incorrect. Tapepsi is right in saying that you must send all your scores to all schools. You cannot withhold that information from any school. As for the sentence, "schools hold off on making decisions until they receeive your most up to date score," this is incorrect. This occurred to me when I applied. I took the mcat in May of the year I applied, got my scores and submitted my app in June, and hated my score so I scheduled a retake for August. About two weeks before my August mcat scores arrived, I received an interview from a school based on my May mcat score. So, it is possible to receive an interview before you receive your mcat retake score. I won't say it is common, but it is very possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
This reply is both correct and incorrect. Tapepsi is right in saying that you must send all your scores to all schools. You cannot withhold that information from any school. As for the sentence, "schools hold off on making decisions until they receeive your most up to date score," this is incorrect. This occurred to me when I applied. I took the mcat in May of the year I applied, got my scores and submitted my app in June, and hated my score so I scheduled a retake for August. About two weeks before my August mcat scores arrived, I received an interview from a school based on my May mcat score. So, it is possible to receive an interview before you receive your mcat retake score. I won't say it is common, but it is very possible.
so is it possible to request consider current score in the optional update section?