Mcat and Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic171

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor had me believing that without a 3.5 and 27 MCAT it would take a large stroke of luck to get into D.O. school. Now reading posts and scores, my chances seem to be rising. I mean, I do not want to get over confident, but it sounds like if I get a descent score, like 23-25, then I have a pretty good chance(3.3sci/3.6all). Is my advisor just dettering me for no reason? Sorry for the stat posting, but everyone needs a "your ok" assuring once and a while.

Members don't see this ad.

You're okay Medic.... One special thing about the osteopathic medical school app process is that it's more than just numbers. Time and time again, the osteo school produce great doctors... So they must be doing something right, right?!

So, I suggest just apply and see what happens. If you show your interest in medicine and osteopathic principles, a commitment to serve others, etc., etc. then you'll surely get a foot in the door.... Come interview time, that's when you can shoot your foot or put your foot in your mouth.

Good luck and "You're OK"

Later, :cool:

I second the motion. Go ahead and apply and see what happens. Just be sure to do your research on the schools before you apply. Also apply to as many osteo and allo schools where you might have a shot, the more applications, the more chances-- and it only takes one acceptance to get you in a white coat! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot for those numbers to avoid any questions/doubts. I had 3.6gpa 3.8sci 25mcat. Was accepted, so aim for the >3.5 and 27 and you are all but gauranteed a spot somewhere MD or DO. Peace MCP

You should be ok with those numbers. And I know you know this already, but I'll say it anyways. Aim higher than the avg numbers. Aim for the 45 and you'll be fine. Your advisor is just dumb.

The Nugget

Perhaps your advisor was thinking about MSUCOM where I think the avg is about 3.5 and 27.

fellas and gals...remember this is more than just a numbers game. I know people at MSUCOM that had a 23 MCAt with a 3.4 GPa and i know ppeople ( no joke) that had 3.8 30's. ITs your entire package not just GPA and Mcat. But to answer your question..i would personally shoot for a 3.5 25 mcat. peace .