MCAT attempts Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine123!

Reaction score
Hi all, I need feedback. I cancelled my MCAT exam after the bronze deadline when COVID was peak during Jan 2021. I thought it didn't count as an attempt. But I found out that AAMC actually counted it as an attempt when I was going to register for the September date. I already took twice after the Jan 2021 date and I was planning to take one more time in September, but now I may not be able to because they said I used all three of my attempts. Anyone else been in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I need feedback. I cancelled my MCAT exam after the bronze deadline when COVID was peak during Jan 2021. I thought it didn't count as an attempt. But I found out that AAMC actually counted it as an attempt when I was going to register for the September date. I already took twice after the Jan 2021 date and I was planning to take one more time in September, but now I may not be able to because they said I used all three of my attempts. Anyone else been in this situation?
Can someone please suggest and help me?

Can someone please suggest and help me?
The AAMC has pretty hard rules regarding the number of attempts within a certain time frame. You could try to appeal but I don't see that going your way. When would you be able to take the mcat again for your 4th attempt / when are you trying to apply to medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
Cancelling a test should not count as an attempt. A "no show" would count as an attempt and I see on the AAMC website that you may need to contact them if you requested a refund due to COVID related issues (see Emergency Refund section)

Edit: I just realized your post said Bronze zone, not Gold. I believe cancelling after Bronze is a "no show." It seems like due to COVID they were giving allowances to reschedule past the Bronze zone. Is your second attempt a re-schedule or new appointment? If not, then you have used up your three attempts and will have to wait until next year (for your last attempt in 2 years).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You said you cancelled your MCAT AFTER bronze deadline, meaning you cancelled within a week of your examination. I'm unsure if this cancellation was COVID-related, if so you should reach out to them.

"BRONZE Zone scheduling deadline: Last date to reschedule or cancel a reservation and last date to edit registration information such as name, address, consents, etc." per AAMC website.

I believe this is why they counted your Jan. test date as an attempt.

The AAMC has pretty hard rules regarding the number of attempts within a certain time frame. You could try to appeal but I don't see that going your way. When would you be able to take the mcat again for your 4th attempt / when are you trying to apply to medical school?
I'm planning to apply to post bacc programs for 2022 and some of them have MCAT requirement. If I can't take MCAT in September because of my max attempts limit I have to wait unitl Jan which means I might be missing the chance for applying to post bacc for 2002

I'm planning to apply to post bacc programs for 2022 and some of them have MCAT requirement. If I can't take MCAT in September because of my max attempts limit I have to wait unitl Jan which means I might be missing the chance for applying to post bacc for 2002
Have you taken the prerequisite courses for the MCAT already?

So you canceled late and have taken it twice in the last 6 months so you can't take it again. What were those scores? Do you think you have significantly improved since those?

petition the AAMC, contact them directly. They rarely allow exceptions, but they might given COVID rules.

petition the AAMC, contact them directly. They rarely allow exceptions, but they might given COVID rules.
Yeah, this. Do your homework and learn what exceptions or waivers exist and if any of them apply to you jump on it immediately because you may be given a extra chance that may not exist in a couple months once regulatory and testing programs settle down into a more permanent new normal.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors