MCAT & BioChem Summer vs. GAP year: Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petrykjp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MCAT & BioChem Summer vs. GAP year: Advice
You need Biochem to do well on the MCAT. If you take the class over the summer, you will not have time to adequately prepare for the MCAT and excel in Biochem. Also, if you take an end of summer or fall MCAT, it takes a month to get the score back, which will delay the time when your application will become complete and be transmitted to schools. Applying early in the cycle is recommended and starts in May or June, depending on which application service you will use.

I suggest you consider a gap year so you will have plenty of time to do well on every component of a good application, including buffing up your ECs, writing your Personal Statement, completing the Activities section, and not having to rush through your Secondary essays to get them in quickly.

You need Biochem to do well on the MCAT. If you take the class over the summer, you will not have time to adequately prepare for the MCAT and excel in Biochem. Also, if you take an end of summer or fall MCAT, it takes a month to get the score back, which will delay the time when your application will become complete and be transmitted to schools. Applying early in the cycle is recommended and starts in May or June, depending on which application service you will use.

I suggest you consider a gap year so you will have plenty of time to do well on every component of a good application, including buffing up your ECs, writing your Personal Statement, completing the Activities section, and not having to rush through your Secondary essays to get them in quickly.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I will definitely take this into consideration.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I will definitely take this into consideration.
If you take the time to read this forum extensively, you'll gain a lot of information critical to a successful application cycle, including the importance of timing and how applicants manage a season when they start later. Good luck.