1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT Biology

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by blackdoc, Aug 4, 2011.

1. blackdoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have both the kaplan review notes and examkrackers books for biology. I currently plan on studying from both books. However, would it be better for me to study from just one book? If so, which book would be more beneficial to me?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. coyotelime

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://mcat-review.org/biology.php

Read EK then look at that. EK helps a bunch. Never tried Kaplan

Don't worry about your performance on the EK tests but if you're doing TBR Bio passages the EK ones will seem pretty simple by comparison

4. dancerdoc89

dancerdoc89 Knowledge is Power

Pre-Medical
    ...that MCAT review site is great!

btw, coming from a Kaplan standpoint, I've noticed that Kaplan misses a lot of crucial points (i.e. concepts of evolution, like stabilizing/directional selection, etc.) but what it does "teach" is really good.

I have read on another thread somewhere on SDN that Kaplan really aims to prep you for ~30 and that the prep isn't that vigorous...I would have to agree. I'm using my own college text books in addition to Kaplan to clarify concepts. Not sure about EK. Good luck, though.

5. mcarrick

5+ Year Member

Kaplan definitely teaches concepts of evolution such as stabilizing/directional, etc.

From what I've seen Kaplan has prepared me well for the Biology section, although I have a strong science background. I am scoring 13-14 on the BS section on AAMC exams.

6. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I used EK all the way and did well (14 BS). I highly recommend them!