MCAT Dos and Donts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monsterlyfe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first forum, and after years of looking at everyone else's post that weren't exactly answering my question,... I decided to ask my own finally.

1.) I am a Junior in Biology minor Nutrition Pre- professional. I am currently taking the MCAT in June on the 29th and have been studying since December with Exam Crackers and after reading other peoples forums on what to do and not to do. I wanted to know....

For people who have not done so well on the MCAT, why? What are some things WRONG that you wish you would have done or done better?

I'm going to try my best from here till June to at least take about 12 practice exams with weekly 20 hours of studying while taking my 12 hours of classes + ORGS (volunteering, RAing, social life, research)

What's to much? What's not enough? What should I add?

I really want to know overall.... I know the MCAT is hard AF, but if I do all this what are my chances of still doing poorly?

I keep reading horror stories of some people saying they have taken it 3-4 times and nothing seems to get them past teens on the old exam or 500 on the new one.

I'm also A first Generation black male student with a 3.1 and already freaking out! = DO/MD/POSTBACC all on my radar if possible

Thanks sorry if this is long :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, this is my first forum, and after years of looking at everyone else's post that weren't exactly answering my question,... I decided to ask my own finally.

1.) I am a Junior in Biology minor Nutrition Pre- professional. I am currently taking the MCAT in June on the 29th and have been studying since December with Exam Crackers and after reading other peoples forums on what to do and not to do. I wanted to know....

For people who have not done so well on the MCAT, why? What are some things WRONG that you wish you would have done or done better?

I'm going to try my best from here till June to at least take about 12 practice exams with weekly 20 hours of studying while taking my 12 hours of classes + ORGS (volunteering, RAing, social life, research)

What's to much? What's not enough? What should I add?

I really want to know overall.... I know the MCAT is hard AF, but if I do all this what are my chances of still doing poorly?

I keep reading horror stories of some people saying they have taken it 3-4 times and nothing seems to get them past teens on the old exam or 500 on the new one.

I'm also A first Generation black male student with a 3.1 and already freaking out! = DO/MD/POSTBACC all on my radar if possible

Thanks sorry if this is long :)

You're probably better off posting this in the mcat discussions thread.

You are going to get fatigued studying for seven months. Take another month to drill down the concepts by doing end of chapter discrete questions in EK and another review book (Kaplan or PR). Make note cards as necessary but do not go overboard on the notecards. Better yet waste $30 bucks on memorang MCAT notecards.

Take a break from "studying" till April or May then start studying again. Use notecards on a daily basis for about 30 mins to an hour. spend the rest of your time doing discretes and passage based questions. Use every material released by the AAMC, buy two or three EK full lengths.