MCAT Expiration for some schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1077794

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would know if this would work:

I plan on re-applying this year but my MCAT expires for some schools that I’d like to apply to (including some that I received interviews at). However, I hesitated to retake the MCAT because I had a 522, which I didn’t want to risk re-taking and getting a lower score.

I was wondering if I could submit my applications for the schools where my MCAT has not expired and has expired early in the summer and take the MCAT around July.

Would the schools where my mcat does not expire process my application with my 522 even with a pending mcat score? I just don’t want schools to evaluate my application in August because I’d like to have everything seen as early as possible. The last time I applied, my applications were seen in september due to a late committee letter submission

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have an MCAT score your application will be processed.
You do need to include the date of your upcoming retake of the MCAT because you don't want to be screened out based on an expired MCAT date.
With your score of 522, it is statistically likely that your retake score could be lower. However, as long as it isn't drastically lower you won't be harmed.
Get your application ready for an earlier submission and don't leave off anything that was on your first app, though you may probably rewrite explanations or essays. Don't belabor the point about having to retake your expired MCAT in your application, because it is just a fact and a deadline and nobody should pin all their hopes on one number.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the informative response!

My biggest concern is for the many more schools I’ll be applying for which my MCAT hasn’t expired. Would including my future MCAT date delay processing of that application?

I ask because I don’t think my application was looked at as didn’t receive interviews until my committee letter was submitted in September last time around.

And to your point, I recognize the MCAT represents one part of my application-which is why I find it unfortunate that I have to retake the test!

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose you could list those schools where your MCAT is still good first and your application will be sent to them promptly.
You can add the other schools to your AMCAS list later. But this is one more step for you to remember. You can also send them all now and some of your schools will wait until they see the new score.

What are you going to do about your letters this time, send them individually instead of waiting for the committee?

I think my primary will be processed but was more worried about individual secondaries. I just don't want the MCAT retake to delay the process for schools that the score wouldn't affect.

I hadn't taken the MCAT this past year because I wanted to focus more on improving my application (activities and writing) rather than solely focus on retaking a test that I technically don't have to re-take.

The dilemma: I can apply to all the schools where my MCAT hasn't expired without delay and with the 522. (don't re-take)
OR
Take the MCAT, risk a score drop and processing delay for schools where my MCAT hasn't expired.

I'm not fully set on re-taking - just weighing my options to see if I could re-take the MCAT without it affecting the schools where my MCAT hasn't expired.

Also, the rec letter process changed for my school. They're submitting a letter packet 2 weeks after I submit my primary, so my primary and secondary submissions will be the limiting factor.

Reactions: 1 user
Which schools on the list I provided will not accept your current score?

Kaiser
Keck
University of Colorado
Mayo Clinic
Geisel Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati
Drexel
Temple (1st time)
Brown
UVA (1st time)
CUSM
UCSD
Western Michigan
Northwestern
Vermont
EVMS
Creighton

DO:

Touro NV
AZCOM (high tuition FYI)

That would leave you with around 20 MD schools then.

You could add:
Hackensack
SLU
MCW
Wayne State
Belmont when it opens
KCU
DMU
KCOM
Marian

You would have to check to see if any of these would consider your score to be expired. It does lessen your chances for MD if you do not end up retaking and have fewer schools on your list since your stats were split in different directions. However, you still would have several schools that you did not apply to the 1st time and any additional activities you did (especially community service) could help lead to more interviews even if cannot apply to 2/3 of the ones that interviewed you before.