MCAT Expiration Window

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherlock555

Reaction score
I’m wondering if taking the MCAT in May 2021 will keep the score valid for applying in 2023 (hoping to matriculate in 2024) for most schools.

Ive completed a quick analysis with about 30 schools with MSAR and it seems there should be no issues with that timeline.
Can anyone else confirm from their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Why take it so early? If your cycle is unsuccessful you'd likely need to retake it for a subsequent application cycle.

Why take it so early? If your cycle is unsuccessful you'd likely need to retake it for a subsequent application cycle.
Are you able to confirm if my research in the OP aligns with what you believe to be correct concerning the MCAT validity window?

I’m a non-trad with a home, a family, and a job. I have an extremely tight timeline planned out with the input of my spouse, with no room for error. Each step is ordered such that if I don’t perform at the necessary level it will prevent me from moving on to the next step so as to not waste my family’s precious time or financial means. There are steps my spouse needs to complete in their schooling/work, as well as financial milestones, over the next couple of years that would allow me to go to med school full time while they take care of our kids. I also have a few undergrad classes I need to still take. I want to take the MCAT before then (I have most of the coursework for it under my belt) so I know not to waste the aforementioned resources on taking the additional courses if my MCAT score is too low anyway. But if the score is high enough, I’ll need the next years to take those courses at night after work before applying.

I simply don’t have the luxury of flexibility

I advise folks not to take the MCAT till after completing the prerequisite courses as the stakes of the exam are simply too high. For many programs your score would appear to be valid for the application cycle referenced above though some programs do have narrower windows.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with greenduck. Roughly 2/3 of applicants don’t receive an MD acceptance and contemplate reapplying every year. With that narrow window, you might make it work if you choose your school list carefully. However, MD admission continues to get more competitive each year, and I’d say it’s risky.

Regarding luxury of flexibility, I was a neuroscience, computer science double major with three jobs (researcher, statistician, tutor), working 28 hours a week while taking STEM-heavy 16-17 hour course load. You know how I studied for the MCAT? I treated it as work-out. Every night, no matter how late or how loud my roommates were at midnight, I studied at least 2 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on saturdays (took Sunday off tho for my sanity). I’m not recommending this to anyone and certainly not the OP, but you will be surprised by what human mind is capable of when you put your mind into it...

I agree with greenduck. Roughly 2/3 of applicants don’t receive an MD acceptance and contemplate reapplying every year. With that narrow window, you might make it work if you choose your school list carefully. However, MD admission continues to get more competitive each year, and I’d say it’s risky.

Regarding luxury of flexibility, I was a neuroscience, computer science double major with three jobs (researcher, statistician, tutor), working 28 hours a week while taking STEM-heavy 16-17 hour course load. You know how I studied for the MCAT? I treated it as work-out. Every night, no matter how late or how loud my roommates were at midnight, I studied at least 2 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on saturdays (took Sunday off tho for my sanity). I’m not recommending this to anyone and certainly not the OP, but you will be surprised by what human mind is capable of when you put your mind into it...
Thanks for your input. Med school is a dream of mine and my family has to come first - if I everything doesn’t go right and I don’t get in the first time I won’t try again. This is a one-shot thing. I’m already in my early thirties with a good career, working 55 hours per week with a few young kids.
Do you have any thoughts on the question originally asked in the OP regarding the validity timeline for the scores?

Thanks for your input. Med school is a dream of mine and my family has to come first - if I everything doesn’t go right and I don’t get in the first time I won’t try again. This is a one-shot thing. I’m already in my early thirties with a good career, working 55 hours per week with a few young kids.
Do you have any thoughts on the question originally asked in the OP regarding the validity timeline for the scores?
I literally just responded... Valid but risky... GL!