WannaBeDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
Let's hypothetically say one just has a average stats (GPA / class rank) but didn't do too well on part 1 and hasn't yet taken part II. Retaking part 1 is out of the question now that the NBDE has changed the rules. This person has done a number of OMFS externships (4-5) and extracurriculars (volunteer, OMFS related research, OMFS/anesthesiology related publication). The person has a STRONG interest in the field and work ethic to do whatever it takes. They have gotten to know her/his OMFS faculty and residents at their school, so suppose they are able to get strong recs from the faculty.

Now this person KNOWS their chances are slim, what would be the most appropriate thing to do if the person is determined on getting into OMFS (feel free to throw me more perio allstar jokes)?

1) 1-yr OMFS Internship?

2) GPR?

3) Take the MCAT?!? Can any current residents, PDs, OMFS faculty, or related comment if this would even add anything to anything to an app?

4) Pursue an MS in Anatomy and rock the hell out of it?

5) Give up? --- no not really an option! :p

flapaTron

§ herpen the derp §
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Dental Student
i dont see how the info tested on the MCAT (organic chemistry, physics, general chemistry, etc) pertains in any way to oms. contact the programs you are interested in directly and see what you can do.

OP
W

WannaBeDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
i dont see how the info tested on the MCAT (organic chemistry, physics, general chemistry, etc) pertains in any way to oms. contact the programs you are interested in directly and see what you can do.
I mentioned it for the same reason that 6yr programs look all the way back to your undergrad GPA since both the dental and medical schools have to approve of your admission. I'd assume medical schools in association with 6yr programs wouldn't want anyone entering OMFS that they themself wouldn't have admitted for medical school alone. I thought the idea of having a great MCAT score would show good academia on the applicant's part.

Not to mention, a lot of the medicine and training that comes with OMFS (that I've seen during externships) goes well above and beyond the part 1 NBDE, so I wouldn't exactly say that's the best judgement for relevance to OMFS either.

flapaTron

§ herpen the derp §
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I'd assume medical schools in association with 6yr programs wouldn't want anyone entering OMFS that they themself wouldn't have admitted for medical school alone. I thought the idea of having a great MCAT score would show good academia on the applicant's part.
in dental school, good acadamia is demonstrated by relevant items: NBDE scores, class rank, GPA, research, extracirriculars. you are correct that both the medical school and the res program itself must accept you, but using the MCAT to help make that distinction would be like a dental school using the SAT/ACT for predoctoral admissions. Additionally, studies have been done that demonstrate a direct correlation between NBDE scores and performance on the USMLE Step 1 - which is why 6-years make a bigger stink over it.

Not to mention, a lot of the medicine and training that comes with OMFS (that I've seen during externships) goes well above and beyond the part 1 NBDE, so I wouldn't exactly say that's the best judgement for relevance to OMFS either.
indeed, the NBDE pales in comparison regarding the degree of medical knowledge required, however, you'd be hard pressed to draw any sort of correlation between the topics on the MCAT and that of the USMLE or NBDE for that matter.

senpai

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My reccomendations would be the following:

1.) Apply! Apply to lot's of schools, get your name out there, and you never now, people with non-stellar scores get in every year. If nothing else, leave a good impression letting them know you're serious.

2.) Do a 1-year internship.

3.) If OMFS goes on through with the plan to use the USMLE Equivalency Exam for admissions (NBME CBSE), it is planned to be available in January of 2012 (when boards go P/NP).

OP
W

WannaBeDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
My reccomendations would be the following:

1.) Apply! Apply to lot's of schools, get your name out there, and you never now, people with non-stellar scores get in every year. If nothing else, leave a good impression letting them know you're serious.
I plan to 100%, believe me when I say I'm not trying to backdoor my way into anything and I want to get in on my own right. At my externships I've been taking call non-stop, even if it meant a week straight with nights of 2hrs of sleep.

2.) Do a 1-year internship.
I haven't pinned down exactly what would classify an internship as strong. Should I be looking for one that provides a lot of clinical skills? Should I look for one based on a program's reputation/PD since they would most likely write you the rec for future applications? Etc.

3.) If OMFS goes on through with the plan to use the USMLE Equivalency Exam for admissions (NBME CBSE), it is planned to be available in January of 2012 (when boards go P/NP).
I have my fingers crossed everyday for this to become a reality. Which is why I frequent SDN and check AAOMS for any sort of news.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Internship is preferable. If that doesn't work, then GPR, then internship if you need to. It all boils down to how badly you want it. Doesn't mean it will be easy or fair.