MCAT for Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optochance

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i originally took the MCAT for medical school applications but found my interest in optometry after shadowing. I don’t want to go to med school anymore and i’m set on optometry 100%. I was wondering if it’s a disadvantage to apply with an MCAT score instead of OAT? I have a 514 MCAT score and a 4.0 gpa. Over 100 hours shadowing multiple optometry places and working as a technician for the past 4 months. I’m interested in applying to UCB, SCCO, Western, and AZCOPT. I believe all of these schools accept the MCAT score instead but I’m wondering if it’s going to hurt me? I’d rather not take the OAT if I don’t have to. Would love to hear from people who’ve applied with MCAT scores instead of OAT, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First, I didn't use MCAT scores but one of the current people in my class did and he seems to be doing great . I don't believe it would be a disadvantage at all, especially with your GPA and extra shadowing hours. I think most institutions are accepting OAT substitutions at this time, but I would check with those schools to be sure, if you haven't already. As long as you have all of the required pre-requisites have been completed you shouldn't have an issue getting in. Good luck on your application.

Reactions: 1 users