MCAT for Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appleluver7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To get into Ross (I know Im posting on the wrong board but am curious), is an MCAT of 29 competitive??

Members don't see this ad.

appleluver7 said:
To get into Ross (I know Im posting on the wrong board but am curious), is an MCAT of 29 competitive??

If you know you're posting on the wrong board, why not post on the correct one?

Ross is a carrib school, so yes a 29 is good there

THat would be a great MCAT for Ross.

Members don't see this ad :)
29 is also a competative MCAT score for US schools...i hear from a lot of people to avoid caribbean schools b/c it's better in the US (somethin like that...wait for others to post)

MedicineNutt said:
29 is also a competative MCAT score for US schools...i hear from a lot of people to avoid caribbean schools b/c it's better in the US (somethin like that...wait for others to post)

You have to take the USMLE when you come to the US, they're accredited by ERAS but you will be considered an International Medical Graduates and therefore verboten at a lot of top residencies. Better to get into a bad US school than a mediocre foreign one.

Yes, competitive.

I can't decide whether or not to take the MCAT again in August. I took it this past April (of 2006) and I got a 25P (PS9, VR7, BS9). I know I could do much better in VR, but I don't think I can do as well in PS. On my diagnostics, I was getting 8s and 9s in VR, but I never scored above a 6 in PS.

I went to UC Berkeley and have a cumulative GPA of 3.14 and a science GPA of 2.8. A doctor that I shadowed is encouraging me to apply to Ross University next year with the scores that I have now. I am also enrolled as a post-bac student at SFSU, where I was hoping to take some classes this fall to boost my GPA.

So, theoretically, if I was able to score higher on the MCATs AND boost my GPA, what are my chances of getting into a US (allopathic/osteopathic) med school? People have been saying to apply to Caribbean med schools only after you have tried to get into the US ones. Does this apply to me as well, or are my scores too low?

Please let me know ASAP. The deadline to register for the August MCAT is tomorrow, 07/14 @ 5p CST. Thanks!

DrElliottReid said:
I can't decide whether or not to take the MCAT again in August. I took it this past April (of 2006) and I got a 25P (PS9, VR7, BS9). I know I could do much better in VR, but I don't think I can do as well in PS. On my diagnostics, I was getting 8s and 9s in VR, but I never scored above a 6 in PS.

I went to UC Berkeley and have a cumulative GPA of 3.14 and a science GPA of 2.8. A doctor that I shadowed is encouraging me to apply to Ross University next year with the scores that I have now. I am also enrolled as a post-bac student at SFSU, where I was hoping to take some classes this fall to boost my GPA.

So, theoretically, if I was able to score higher on the MCATs AND boost my GPA, what are my chances of getting into a US (allopathic/osteopathic) med school? People have been saying to apply to Caribbean med schools only after you have tried to get into the US ones. Does this apply to me as well, or are my scores too low?

Please let me know ASAP. The deadline to register for the August MCAT is tomorrow, 07/14 @ 5p CST. Thanks!

Your chances for US MD are not good. Your chances of Osteo are so-so if you apply broadly. With a higher MCAT (30) you prob. will get into osteo, but prob. not MD.

I have an even lower GPA (2.96) from UCI, taking Aug. MCAT and scored 7-8-9, 8-8-8 on 2 diagnostics before I started studying 2 months ago. I expect a 30 or better and I'm applying to Carribbean schools my first time around, along with a few US MD schools I have ties to.

I would take the MCAT again if you feel you can really improve your score, and apply to a few schools again (also only if you can significantly improve your score). Decide if that 25P was close to the best you can do, or if it was with little/ineffective preparation and are certain you can do better.

Cheers,

Ryan