***MCAT for the Fourth Time***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPersistent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, really depressed right now. I went down over 8 points on my practice tests. I was getting consistent 31-33ish on practice tests and I ended up with a 25.

5 V

9 P

11 B

I scored a 25M.....

In August 2002: 20P
In Auguet 2003: 25P
In August 2005: 25M

Ive decided to give it one more crack in April 2006, If not Im heading to SGU next fall. Anyone else is a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I would reallllly appreciate peoples comments who have or known people to take the exam four times....please respond...

Also any verbal advice?

DrPersistent said:
Hey everyone, really depressed right now. I went down over 8 points on my practice tests. I was getting consistent 31-33ish on practice tests and I ended up with a 25.

5 V

9 P

11 B

I scored a 25M.....

Ive decided to give it one more crack in April 2006, If not Im heading to SGU next fall. Anyone else is a similar situation?
Hopefully I don't score the same about 20N on the fourth time...
I took it third time,
and it was bad
bad as I did not know bad
Don't feel so dwell,
I hope we all be well

DrPersistent said:
I would reallllly appreciate peoples comments who have or known people to take the exam four times....please respond...

Also any verbal advice?
I would be taking it Fourth time in April
I got two on my verbal and I can't believe it

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking it for the fourth time in April.

Aug 2004: 24R
Apr 2005: 24R
Aug 2005: 22R

It's nice to know we're not alone.

DrPersistent said:

5 V

9 P

11 B

I scored a 25M.....

I've taken it 5 times with similar scores to yours trying to get that elusive 30>. I'm NOT taking it again!

JustR said:

JustR you and I will tackle this together. We will become physcians, just keep on workng hard. I have to get going to work, but I hope to talk to you later!

mustangsally65 said:
I will be taking it for the fourth time in April.

Aug 2004: 24R
Apr 2005: 24R
Aug 2005: 22R

It's nice to know we're not alone.

We will do this, We just have to work harder:) What was your break down?

DrPersistent, I got the same score overall, but i got a 6 in VR and an 8 in PS. it sux cuz i already submitted aamca's and secondaries thinking i would get a better score considering my test scores were pretty consistent at 28-30. So i am going to see if my state schools will show me some love, if not, i dont know if i can take this test a third time. i was never good with standardized tests and i understand that the MCAT is another obstacle we must overcome, but it is very discouraging because you have been consistent in school and kept good grades, AND you worked your bootay off to study for this test AND you get good practice scores, however it does not show on the real thing all of the effort you have put into it. i really wish i had some advice for both of us! but just wanted to let you know, you are DEFINITELY not alone on this one! :)

frany584 said:
DrPersistent, I got the same score overall, but i got a 6 in VR and an 8 in PS. it sux cuz i already submitted aamca's and secondaries thinking i would get a better score considering my test scores were pretty consistent at 28-30. So i am going to see if my state schools will show me some love, if not, i dont know if i can take this test a third time. i was never good with standardized tests and i understand that the MCAT is another obstacle we must overcome, but it is very discouraging because you have been consistent in school and kept good grades, AND you worked your bootay off to study for this test AND you get good practice scores, however it does not show on the real thing all of the effort you have put into it. i really wish i had some advice for both of us! but just wanted to let you know, you are DEFINITELY not alone on this one! :)

Thanks Frany!! :) I hope you get in to your state schools. Im in a similar position...ive submitted all my secondaries...I thought I would atleast get a 28ish. So hopefully UIC takes me in:) gtg to work but hope to talk to you all soon!

hi all,

i did really badly (24R) from a 22R two years ago. Not only have I had a 4.0 gpa since then in my post bacc, but my practice tests were in the low 30 range....i don't know what happened.

needless to say i am totally depressed and i feel like crap.

i guess i am taking it in april...any april buddies?

AIM screenname: aimsz88

aimsz88 said:
hi all,

i did really badly (24R) from a 22R two years ago. Not only have I had a 4.0 gpa since then in my post bacc, but my practice tests were in the low 30 range....i don't know what happened.

needless to say i am totally depressed and i feel like crap.

i guess i am taking it in april...any april buddies?

AIM screenname: aimsz88

I feel your pain, I have a high GPA also and was doin well on practice tests...Ill be studyin for April right there with ya...

I feel your pain...i was averaging 32 on the aamc practice tests....

Got a 24S (yea 'S' but no one gives a s*** about this section anyways).

I know that this test is supposed to be a test of 'general knowledge' but i really think it's possible that I was curved down....thatis, maybe i had an 'easy' form because I felt super confident about all the sections after writing.

Don't know if to give up...since i graduated this june and am already on my year off...don't want to do another year off because I feel as though i'm wasting my time with this....

I think i may have been one of the first people to see my score...because i was on the countdown thread last night and there was one person who said they just checked and there were no marks yet....then i refreshed the page...and there they were....i had to log out and login again to make sure that i was seeing the correct scores....it's all very depressing...i've been pretty sad allllll day..

:mad: :mad: :mad:

JustR said:

What are the policies for fourth time test takers? And does anyone know how medical schools look at applicants with more then 3 MCAT scores? I took it for the third time this august and didn't do good at all, and now I'm freaked about taking it for the fourth time. Has anyone heard of anyone getting in with 4 MCAT scores? Really anxious to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
1Path said:
I've taken it 5 times with similar scores to yours trying to get that elusive 30>. I'm NOT taking it again!

Hi 1Path,
Did you ever apply with your scores, or did you just retake the test ever time? If you did apply and maybe got an interview, did anyone mention the fact that you took the test multiple times as a negative? I am not sure whether I should take it a fourth time, but wanted to hear if you knew of anyone that took it more than 3 times, and maybe got in to medical schools.

Godd luck in anything that you do!

1Path said:

Hi 1Path,
Did you ever apply with your scores, or did you just retake the test ever time? If you did apply and maybe got an interview, did anyone mention the fact that you took the test multiple times as a negative? I am not sure whether I should take it a fourth time, but wanted to hear if you knew of anyone that took it more than 3 times, and maybe got in to medical schools.

1Path said:

Hi 1Path,

MsPreMed said:
Hi 1Path,

I was accepted many years back after the second test I took, but didn't matriculate for personal reasons and no, repeating the test NEVER came up. I retook it in April 2004 and April 2005. Not only was my score lower than it was in 1999, but it was the SAME with improvement only in ws.

I took the August test and now I'm back to a decent score (although not good enough for MD/PhD. Of course, there ARE exceptions in these programs WITH my score). I've simply removed all the top 25 schools from my list and I'm going to roll with it. Because I've maintained contact with the schools on my list, I've been told that I'm in good shape for getting to the interview stage. I'll explain it, if it even comes up, when I get there.

Here's the thing. If you can explain it without dwelling on it too much, I think you're in good shape. There's a young lady at Hopkins med that took it 6 times and was admitted by them so it has happened. If it worked for her, with a solid application otherwise, why can't it work for you?

Good luck!!!

1Path said:
I was accepted many years back after the second test I took, but didn't matriculate for personal reasons and no, repeating the test NEVER came up. I retook it in April 2004 and April 2005. Not only was my score lower than it was in 1999, but it was the SAME with improvement only in ws.

I took the August test and now I'm back to a decent score (although not good enough for MD/PhD. Of course, there ARE exceptions in these programs WITH my score). I've simply removed all the top 25 schools from my list and I'm going to roll with it. Because I've maintained contact with the schools on my list, I've been told that I'm in good shape for getting to the interview stage. I'll explain it, if it even comes up, when I get there.

Here's the thing. If you can explain it without dwelling on it too much, I think you're in good shape. There's a young lady at Hopkins med that took it 6 times and was admitted by them so it has happened. If it worked for her, with a solid application otherwise, why can't it work for you?

Good luck!!!

Hi 1Path,
I guess that I am just in a slump right now having seen my score and that it's my third test score. I have never heard of anyone taking the test more than 3 or 4 times, but you're right if it's possible than anything's possible.

Thanks!

MsPreMed said:
Hi 1Path,
I guess that I am just in a slump right now having seen my score and that it's my third test score. I have never heard of anyone taking the test more than 3 or 4 times, but you're right if it's possible than anything's possible.

Thanks!
The thing is that you'd never know who took the test more than 3X because in the environment of "hey I got a 38P without studying and on my first try" people aren't going to admit it. But you know soemone, somewhere MUST have taken it many times otherwise where would AMCAS get the data on multiple retakes?

Trust me, I was in a slump too because I worked harder than I EVER had this last time, but you sometimes it just works that way. The thing is that when you do get to med school, you'll be that much more driven because of everything you had to do to get there! Good luck!!!

DrPersistent said:
We will do this, We just have to work harder:) What was your break down?

My breakdowns:
7P, 8B, 9 V R
8P, 8B, 8V R
6P, 7B, 9V R.

I'm convinced that people who do well get test forms that have info they know. Those of us who do badly get the test forms that are chock-full of things we are weak in. If we got the test forms with our strong points, we'd ace it.

I'm not trying to discredit those of you with great scores. I'm just speaking from my personal experience with this crappy test! :p

The shock is finally wearing off. I thought I had prepared but then had the wind knocked out of me.

VR: 7
PS: 6
BS: 9
WR: R

22R

I am very likely going to give it one more try in April. I am sure that if I really learn my physics and chemistry I can pull that 6 up.

We can set up a study chat group if you want.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
The shock is finally wearing off. I thought I had prepared but then had the wind knocked out of me.

22R

I am very likely going to give it one more try in April. I am sure that if I really learn my physics and chemistry I can pull that 6 up.

That would be great, a study chat group. I probably won't get into the books again until December, but I think it would be immensely helpful for all of us 4th timers to study/chat together. Is there a good site where we could do that, or is AIM the best?

Your scores are identical to mine, EMT, (with VR and BS switched) and I know we both had BG. I thought it was a horrible form.

We can do it!

mustangsally65 said:
That would be great, a study chat group. I probably won't get into the books again until December, but I think it would be immensely helpful for all of us 4th timers to study/chat together. Is there a good site where we could do that, or is AIM the best?

Your scores are identical to mine, EMT, (with VR and BS switched) and I know we both had BG. I thought it was a horrible form.

We can do it!

I kind of already set one up for the april 2005 test but no one used it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MCATAPRIL2005/

mustangsally65 said:
My breakdowns:
7P, 8B, 9 V R
8P, 8B, 8V R
6P, 7B, 9V R.

I'm convinced that people who do well get test forms that have info they know. Those of us who do badly get the test forms that are chock-full of things we are weak in. If we got the test forms with our strong points, we'd ace it.

I'm not trying to discredit those of you with great scores. I'm just speaking from my personal experience with this crappy test! :p

Nice verbal scores:) I really think you can crack the sciences and rock this test. How did you study for the sciences? Maybe I could give some advice on that and you can give me some advice on verbal:)

1Path said:

Hey what are your plans, have been accepted...or you in the app process?

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I feel your pain...i was averaging 32 on the aamc practice tests....

Got a 24S (yea 'S' but no one gives a s*** about this section anyways).

I know that this test is supposed to be a test of 'general knowledge' but i really think it's possible that I was curved down....thatis, maybe i had an 'easy' form because I felt super confident about all the sections after writing.

Don't know if to give up...since i graduated this june and am already on my year off...don't want to do another year off because I feel as though i'm wasting my time with this....

I think i may have been one of the first people to see my score...because i was on the countdown thread last night and there was one person who said they just checked and there were no marks yet....then i refreshed the page...and there they were....i had to log out and login again to make sure that i was seeing the correct scores....it's all very depressing...i've been pretty sad allllll day..

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I was refreshing the page like crazy so when I saw a 25 my mouth dropped...I dont understand how we go DOWN 7-9 points?? IT doesnt make sense to me!! :( We are gonna rock in April hopefully :luck:

1Path said:

Good luck!!!

whooops didnt see that you posted this:) I think to some our persistance shows that are reasons are genuine..but im afraid that others will see multiple retakes as a weakness...

EMT2ER-DOC said:

22R

A chat would be awesome EMT....If you can get a 9 B im sure you can raise your PS :)

mustangsally65 said:
My breakdowns:
7P, 8B, 9 V R
8P, 8B, 8V R
6P, 7B, 9V R.

As to the above:

I really think that it is possible to "demystify" the "hard" test forms. The point of the MCAT is NOT to "know" everything; that would be an impossible waste of time and energy. If you can narrow down your studying to a core of scientific concepts and really nail them, you can likely work your way around unfamiliar material using the material you DO know.

For me, EXAMKRACKERS was fantastic toward achieving this end. They state explicitly that certain material will NOT EVER be tested, and they also state explicitly which material WILL DEFINITELY be tested. This way, you don't spend hours memorizing unnecessary equations (like some that appear in Kaplan, for example-the Lensmaker's equation, Bernoulli's equation, etc.)

I scored a 24T (8,8,8) the first go-around using Kaplan and AAMC and didn't see until the following year(using Examkrackers and Audio Osmosis) how much time I had wasted trying to cram unnecessary information into my head. Books like Kaplan, TPR, and others are great for concrete facts and minutiae of reactions, physics concepts, etc., but if you want to prepare for a test that tests your ability to wade around in unfamiliar material and use your knowledge of basic sciences to cut through the smoke and mirrors and get to the basic science concept at its core, you need something else other than formulas and memorization; you need to hone your ability to think clearly on your feet.

I have really bad test anxiety and the MCAT wasn't shall we say a hospitable environment for test anxiety. The second time around, I actually studied for less total hours but spent MORE total hours than before teaching myself to relax and realize that there wasn't ANYTHING that could appear on the test that I hadn't studied at one point or another. You must realize this fact. They will not dig through an obscure physics journal and find a concept so God-awful-hard that even some professors would find it difficult to solve. They only have a finite set of concepts that they are going to test with; what makes this test so hard is that they dress up the questions in an unfamiliar way, give you tons of unnecessary information and misdirection, and play on your insecurities. See through all of that crap and you're golden, even if you haven't aced the classes that comprise the prerequisites.

Sorry to blab on for so long.

BTW my retake was PS:11, VR:11, BS: 8 P 30P

Best of luck to everyone, and have confidence that you can do it. I'm certainly not the smartest person floating around SDN; if I can do it, everyone can. :thumbup:

DrPersistent said:
Hey what are your plans, have been accepted...or you in the app process?

I haven't been accepted yet, but I KNOW one day I will be (probably this year). And the reason for this confidence quite is simple. I've got (and I'm sure a lot of you guys too) a hellva more going on with my med school app than my MCAT score. Will I be a Harvard grad? No, not for medical school but there's always residency and fellowship.

Getting 8's and 9's just isn't all that bad, at least that's what I keep trying to tell myself. And the fact is that with the exception of the schools at the very top, there are many current medical students with 7's too.

Last thing is about networking. I've personally spoken with 'decision makers" and all the schools on my list. For those of you who plan to apply next year, start selling your application to your tenative list of schools between April and June of next year when they aren't so busy. In fact, I called the admissions office at one of the schools on my list yesterday about a problem I was having with the secondary and the associate dean (and an adcom member) herself returned my call!!! These are valuable opportunites to make your case to people making decisions about your application. :thumbup:

DrPersistent said:
whooops didnt see that you posted this:) I think to some our persistance shows that are reasons are genuine..but im afraid that others will see multiple retakes as a weakness...
Others like who, people on SDN or the adcoms? I personally don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone here thinks about retaking the MCAT and a search of some of my posts will easily verify my "one woman stance" on SDN. What I do care about is what the adcoms think and in talking to schools about my impending app, the fact that I've retaken the test was only mentioned by one school and that was Hopkins. So, I've got an easy solution to the "Hopkins" problem and that is to not apply to Hopkins!

IMHO, I'm not just talking about persistance in all this, I'm talking about tenacity. A german shepard is persistant, a pit-bull is tenacious. Think of it this way, who do you want on your medical team when 4 different chemotherapy treatments haven't worked, a "german shepard" or a "pit-bull"? Give me the pit bull anyday! :laugh:

Is it "good" to have taken the MCAT multiple times? No. Will doing so keep you out of med school? Only if YOU let it!

For everyone in this thread, I know it's going to sound cliché but, don't give up!

I went from a 25Q in August 2004 to a 33P this year.

Breakdowns were like this:
Aug '04: 8P, 6V, 11B
Aug '05: 12P, 8V, 13B

Overall, it was an 8-point improvement in one year. I'm not a genius but I just worked my ass off this entire summer. As in, 8 hours a day for 3 months. I purposely decided not to work or even volunteer, I went out only once for my birthday in July, and I sacrificed a lot of fun activities that even aggravated some of my friends.

In the end, I spent a good ~500 Hours on the MCAT this summer. Yes, it's extreme, and my score isn't amazing, but right now I'm the happiest guy around and my family and friends are so proud of me.

So, moral of the story: take some time to digest this result, re-evaluate your study methods, sacrifice a lot for this test, and work your ass off. Also, if you're strong in one section, focus on the sections where you need the greatest improvement. I did good in Bio the first time (see above) so this summer I spent about ~400 hours on Physical Sciences/Verbal and only about ~100 on Bio.

Best of luck, :luck:

SF

Hey all, I'm a third year student at Tulane med. I took the MCAT in Aug 1999. I got a 27M--9,9,9, and thankfully that was the only time I took it. I took a Kaplan class that summer, and there was a guy in my class who was taking the MCAT for the fifth time. He was also taking the Kaplan class for the second time. His weakness was always verbal. He told me what he got on the MCAT when he took it the fifth time, but I can't remember the exact score at this time. I know it was below 30, b/c I would have rembembered a 30, but I think it was high 20's like 27-29. Anyway, he got in to LSU-NO, and is now in his 1st year of his surgical residency.

Just wanted to let you know that it can be done, and that you can get in to med school with scores in the 20's, so don't fret when you see every other post here of 35+ on the MCAT

mj1878 said:
As to the above:

I really think that it is possible to "demystify" the "hard" test forms. The point of the MCAT is NOT to "know" everything; that would be an impossible waste of time and energy. If you can narrow down your studying to a core of scientific concepts and really nail them, you can likely work your way around unfamiliar material using the material you DO know.
Thanks for the encouragement. I bought Examkrackers in February of this year (the review books) and studied them for my April exam. When I didn't improve, I bought the 1001/101 books and took all the bio questions and the physics questions that I felt I was weak in. I also did the verbal book. I never practiced my writing sample at all. Anyway, the reason I'm so frustrated is that I used EK and thought it would really help me. They're great books, and I also used Audio Osmosis.

I just feel like I'll never do good on this test. Which is probably what is keeping me from doing good! :p I went into the August test so confident, because I had learned so much stuff over the summer, and I felt like all the practice passages and questions I had done would have paid off. Then I saw my test and my heart sank. Why oh why couldn't I have gotten a form with the stuff I had in April? I studied for this test using what I had seen on the April test that I didn't know, and my weaknesses, which were basically biochem and physics. I didn't give enough attention to general chem, or ochem, even though organic was always my forte.

I'll stop whining now, ;) and get ready to study again in a few weeks. It's great to have y'all to talk to, though.

gujuDoc said:
A. After reading the add comments part of your profile, I wanted to add that if you do end up applying at american schools, I think you'll have a good shot.

B. anything 33+ is AMAZING :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C. Glad things worked out well for you as I figured they would. :D

Guju,

You've been an immense help to myself and all SDNers visiting the MCAT forum over the summer. Honestly, I don't know where the hell we'd all be without you! I sincerely hope that you DESTROY the MCAT if you decide to re-write (I think I remember you mentioning you were going to), and that we'll all be here to support you like you did for us. You rock!

Guys, I admit it it would of been nice to be part of the other threads, the ones with 31+ on the MCAT. I didn't score well myself, I got 7's and 8's ...not really good enough to apply to medical school. I am not a good test taker and I don't really know what to do about it...I am sooooooo depressed!

hippocampus said:
how many times are we allowed to take it?
I don't think so there is a limit
But you need a permission to take it
more than three times.
But I am not so sure on this
Contact the AMCAS?

SaharanPrince said:
Guys, I admit it it would of been nice to be part of the other threads, the ones with 31+ on the MCAT. I didn't score well myself, I got 7's and 8's ...not really good enough to apply to medical school. I am not a good test taker and I don't really know what to do about it...I am sooooooo depressed!
Depressed that I am
after getting only 20 on my MCAT
and it would be the fourth time
I would have to take the beast.
can you imagine that?

Hey,
My MCAT scores are not that great either overall. I only increased by 2 points in a year. I took it in august 2004 and august 2005 and still didn't break a 20! But I'm not giving up just yet. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track since there is an improvement compared to last year so I'm just going to pick up where I've stopped in august and get right back to it. Thanks to my family and boyfriend who encouraged me to take it again and reminded me how much I really want this. Don't give up you guys, there's still hope. My sister is applying with a 24 but a great GPA and a strong application overall. I'll let you how this goes for her. I've hear of two guys getting in with 21s and one of them was accepted to Harvard. I guess they look at your application overall and it also has to do with a little bit of luck as well...wish you all the best.

Mr. Persistant,
just wondering how you went about improving your scores? did you take a class or study on your own? what materials did you use?
Congrats. I can only pray i can improve.
thanks for the post!

I know no one is going to read this because the last post is from 2006. Just wanted to let you all know I got it on my fourth try. First a 22, then a 23, then a 25, and now I got a 31 (10,10,11).

I just hope it works

I know no one is going to read this because the last post is from 2006. Just wanted to let you all know I got it on my fourth try. First a 22, then a 23, then a 25, and now I got a 31 (10,10,11).

I just hope it works
Great job! I hope you get in. You truly deserve it.

Just a question: What did you differently that allowed for the drastic 6 point jump? I'm sure this question will help a lot of people in similar situation.

My breakdowns:
7P, 8B, 9 V R
8P, 8B, 8V R
6P, 7B, 9V R.

Uh... no.

Maybe you just haven't tried studying as hard as you should be.

There is a topics list on the AAMC website that tells you EVERY SINGLE THING that is to be on the MCAT. You should be scrolling down the list and making sure you have NO WEAKNESSES ANYWHERE and KNOW EVERYTHING on that list and go above and beyond.

The PS & BS are only basic sciences. They aren't too intimidating. If you consistently get 6's on the PS & BS, then you obviously are NOT putting in the effort.

Uh... no.

Maybe you just haven't tried studying as hard as you should be.

There is a topics list on the AAMC website that tells you EVERY SINGLE THING that is to be on the MCAT. You should be scrolling down the list and making sure you have NO WEAKNESSES ANYWHERE and KNOW EVERYTHING on that list and go above and beyond.

The PS & BS are only basic sciences. They aren't too intimidating. If you consistently get 6's on the PS & BS, then you obviously are NOT putting in the effort.

:thumbup:

Not sure if you noticed, but that post is from 2005 :hungover: