MCAT goal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaxRate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello -

Wondering if anyone can advise on what kind of MCAT score i'll be needing to have a good shot at an American Med school:

non-sci GPA: 3.36 with upward trend (top 30 university)
science GPA: 3.80 (CUNY Hunter postbacc program)
Solid LORs, lots of medical and non-medical volunteer work, shadowing experience
NO RESEARCH EXPERIENCE or papers published

think a 10/10/10 would do the trick? 11/11/11?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What's your state of residence?

What's your cGPA? - right now I'm just seeing a sGPA and an aoGPA.

What's your state of residence?

What's your cGPA? - right now I'm just seeing a sGPA and an aoGPA.

i went to college without doing any science courses, then went to a different school and did a postbacc. My original 4-year college GPA was 3.36, my postbacc GPA was 3.80, bringing my cumulative GPA to about 3.48 although it was acquired at 2 different schools.

State is new york

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from NY, with a 3.48, I'd aim for a 33 if possible. With the steep, upward recent, science grade trend and terrific ECs, you might get by with a 32.

So lets say i pull a 33/34 (good test taker), would the total lack of research experience really sting? Or could i get by with a couple long-term clinical volunteer and shadowing positions, plus the 3.48 and 33 or 34 mcat.

About 78-94%, but mostly in the mid-80ish% of those accepted to NY schools have research. About 60% of those applying list research. That suggests that you will be at a disadvantage without research on your application, but that it's still possible to get by without it. Logically, those without, make up for it by compensating in some other area, or aren't included in those statistics because they listed it under employment instead of research. Career-changing Nontrads who work full-time while doing a postbac and getting in all the other activities would be some of them too (if that applies).

About 78-94%, but mostly in the mid-80ish% of those accepted to NY schools have research. About 60% of those applying list research. That suggests that you will be at a disadvantage without research on your application, but that it's still possible to get by without it. Logically, those without, make up for it by compensating in some other area, or aren't included in those statistics because they listed it under employment instead of research. Career-changing Nontrads who work full-time while doing a postbac and getting in all the other activities would be some of them too (if that applies).

Well, as a career-changing postbacc who works (almost) full-time as a research analyst (though not a scientific researcher, per se) for an investment bank that focuses on alternative energy companies, while also hospital volunteering and physician shadowing, i literally don't have enough time in the week to do medical research, unless i can clone myself.

If I were to put off applying for yet another year to get a year of research under my belt, how much do you folks think that would boost my candidacy? I obviously don't want to wait another year, but i would if it would be a difference maker.

Stats again:
cGPA - 3.48
sciGPA - 3.80
likely MCAT - 33/34

Last edited:
You might consider going to last year's PreMed Allo School Specific threads for the schools you're targeting, find some applicants from last year whose MDapps show they applied across the board to NY schools, and PM them to ask their perspective on the importance of research for your state schools.

It seems to me though, that you might be able to spin your current job as research-related. Research need not be in the sciences, after all. It can be in Economics, linguistics, music, math, etc.

Upstate doesn't really require research. Not sure about the others.

Last edited:
I'm actually not myself a researcher. As a research analyst, i basically analyze the research done by others.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input.