MCAT guidance/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this on the MCAT section but reposting here just in case. Please help.

Hi everyone,

Love reading the threads on SDN and especially the non trads section since I am one myself.

Just some background information on me: I did well in all my science classes but that was years ago. I thought I would take the new MCAT next Spring but I'm having second thoughts and want to take it this year before the changes next year. I still have to take Org. Chem. 2, Physics 2 & Biochem. The thing is, I work full-time and may have to wait until the fall or even Spring 2015 to take Org. Chem 2 because my school does not offer the class later in the day. I've been looking around to see if I could take it a different school but so far I can't find a class that's offered after 4:30 pm which is the earliest I could take a class after work. So, I am contemplating taking the MCAT before Org. Chem 2 and Biochem. Possibly even before Physics 2. I would aim at taking it in November. I don't have time to attend a prep course. I need a thorough review of Bio & Chem. and plan on applying next year.

My GPA stats aren't the best mostly because of my non- science major classes so I really need to ace the MCAT (hopefully on the 1st try). For all you guys who aced the MCAT, what review books/material would you recommend? I would study mainly on weekends and after work on weekdays. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Find a way to take physics 2. Orgo 2 is probably the least needed, and biochem is helpful but not necessary.

The berkeley review is top notch, if you have tge time. Exam krackers is a good bang for the buck approach.

My personal advice: you seem to be attmpting to do it all on a short timetable. Don't. Slow it up, take all your courses and really do your best MCAT prep.This is a marathon, not a race.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh great thanks! Had no idea O chem 2 is the least needed. I'll see if I can take Physics 2 this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I'll stick to the original plan and take org chem.2 since I found a class for this summer and being that I work full- time, this may be the only chance I have unless my job situation changes.

I liked the ExamKrackers 10 week home study schedule. But if you haven't taken all of your prerequisites I wouldn't be worried about the preparation yet.

Oh great thanks! Had no idea O chem 2 is the least needed. I'll see if I can take Physics 2 this fall.

I still haven't taken physics II and I pulled a 14 on the physical science section. It's not necessary if you can learn the basics on your own- the MCAT tests your ability to connect concepts more than anything else, in my opinion. Still, the commenter above who said to consider this a marathon rather than a sprint is right. Don't take the MCAT without reasonable preparation. I did that the first time and it didn't go so well.

Last edited:
Physics is good to have. I admittedly am terrible at ochem and I did very well on the MCAT. Biochemistry would be nice to have done for the new MCAT.

Physics is good to have. I admittedly am terrible at ochem and I did very well on the MCAT. Biochemistry would be nice to have done for the new MCAT.

Congrats on doing well on the MCAT. What books did you use and how long did you study for? I know everyone's pace is different but just want to get a feel of what's realistic.

I like your post. I am on round three of that dang test. The first time I thought just because I did good in the classes I could do well on the test, so I just reviewed content and did not actually practice "the test". :smack:

Round 2, 5 years after taking the classes signed up for a prep class thinking I would be reviewing material in class, but failed to realize and commit to the amount of out of class work required. So I signed up for a test I wasn't ready for and did worse then the first time. :bang:

Now Round 3 at the end of my rope, I need to approach this correctly. 7 years from the actually classes I have the ExamKrakers & Kaplan study material with a plan to get into the August test.

I really want to focus on working through problems, understanding what to look for and how to approach the information.

I'm kinda pretty sure I am not a dummy, but this test has a way of making you doubt everything about your choice.

-----------------------------
BS Information Systems - 2004
BS Biology - 2014
My Journey - http://andsoitbeginsnywood.blogspot.com/

Reactions: 1 user
I like your post. I am on round three of that dang test. The first time I thought just because I did good in the classes I could do well on the test, so I just reviewed content and did not actually practice "the test". :smack:

Round 2, 5 years after taking the classes signed up for a prep class thinking I would be reviewing material in class, but failed to realize and commit to the amount of out of class work required. So I signed up for a test I wasn't ready for and did worse then the first time. :bang:

Now Round 3 at the end of my rope, I need to approach this correctly. 7 years from the actually classes I have the ExamKrakers & Kaplan study material with a plan to get into the August test.

I really want to focus on working through problems, understanding what to look for and how to approach the information.

I'm kinda pretty sure I am not a dummy, but this test has a way of making you doubt everything about your choice.

-----------------------------
BS Information Systems - 2004
BS Biology - 2014
My Journey - http://andsoitbeginsnywood.blogspot.com/

I actually didn't really like the EK books. I only used them because I was too broke to afford to buy anything, and these were given to me. But in my opinion, content review is not what is important. You need to practice the exam.

OK so I spent some time today forcing out my first draft of my PS. It's actually like my third first draft if you know what I mean. It was not pleasant to write about.

In other news, I was able to shadow an attending pediatrician at a teaching children's hospital on Wednesday, and that was really fun! I still need at least 11 more shadowing hours to reach my goal before August.