MCAT help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsong812

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have come to the realization that my biology background is very weak seeing that I couldn't understand/remember a lot of the chapters the kaplan MCAT book was going over. I was under the impression that one year of basic biology would suffice for the MCAT but I feel like I am at a handicap because I didn't take that many upper level biology courses. So I need your opinions: is it worth taking a class just to learn the material being covered on the MCAT's? or should I look to other resources and learn the material on my own? And finally, should I just attempt to memorize the facts and definitions of the subject matter listed in the Kaplan book even though I dont understand all that much of it? Keep in mind that I am talking particularly about subjects such as embryology, reproduction, homeostatis, and anatomy. Thanks so much!

In your debt,

james

Members don't see this ad.

jsong812 said:
So I have come to the realization that my biology background is very weak seeing that I couldn't understand/remember a lot of the chapters the kaplan MCAT book was going over. I was under the impression that one year of basic biology would suffice for the MCAT but I feel like I am at a handicap because I didn't take that many upper level biology courses. So I need your opinions: is it worth taking a class just to learn the material being covered on the MCAT's? or should I look to other resources and learn the material on my own? And finally, should I just attempt to memorize the facts and definitions of the subject matter listed in the Kaplan book even though I dont understand all that much of it? Keep in mind that I am talking particularly about subjects such as embryology, reproduction, homeostatis, and anatomy. Thanks so much!

In your debt,

james

I think it's worth taking a class, especially if you didn't cover that material. I hadn't taken classes in some of the bio stuff. The Kaplan class at least tells you what you need to know, and you have a tutor there to help you if you don't understand the concepts, or answers to the questions. Actually, I scored best in Bio section after taking that.

jsong812 said:

In your debt,

james

One year of basic biology is generally sufficient for the MCAT IF the bio course is strong, but may not be enough if it's not somewhat "geared toward the premed". Many people find that their bio class lacks some of the physiology or genetics components, but I've actually not heard of many taking embryology/reproduction type bio courses for MCAT reasons. I would sign up for a good Kaplan or TPR course and try and learn it that way.