MCAT instead of PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImDaStyle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to take MCAT instead of PCAT? my friend said MCAT is easier...what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken MCAT and PCAT. I got 86 composite on PCAT, and low 20s on MCAT. For me, PCAT was much easier but I guess it's different for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT isn't too bad, just long. I had a 30 MCAT and a 92 PCAT.

and to answer your other questions, by all means take the MCAT. Medical schools absolutely require it.

MCAT isn't too bad, just long. I had a 30 MCAT and a 92 PCAT.

and to answer your other questions, by all means take the MCAT. Medical schools absolutely require it.

You're one of the very very few that would consider it as not as bad. It's hard to be objective, but the PCAT is a joke in comparison to the MCAT. They don't even compete on the same analytical thinking processes nor depth.

I think lengthwise MCAT has gotten a lot shorter. I took the last paper-pencil test back in August of 2006, and it was 8 hours long! Now, they've made in all computerized and it's about 5-6 hours long, similar to PCAT. But if you want to go to Medical school, definitely do MCAT. It's a requirement just like PCAT is for (most) pharmacy schools.

You're one of the very very few that would consider it as not as bad. It's hard to be objective, but the PCAT is a joke in comparison to the MCAT. They don't even compete on the same analytical thinking processes nor depth.

oh the MCAT? Reread what I wrote...I said it wasn't that bad. Definitely I agree that the PCAT is a joke compared to the MCAT. I finished the PCAT and went...wtf was that, that was a test? They need to make that thing harder and longer, what a joke.

the pcat was hard for me specifically because it was so easy. I had forgotten most of the math and it seemed like I overthought a lot of the reading comprehension and chemistry questions. Still got a 99 though. I probably would rather have taken the mcat, I would expect it would be more fun and somewhat easier because it is on a more heavily analytical and critical thinking level. To respond to your question .. I dont think many schools accept the mcat for pharmacy in general. you'd probably want to email specific schools. I think i've heard of some people substituting it for the pcat in the past.

I think they are saying if they can take the MCAT instead of the PCAT for pharmacy school. Lets see here...
"P"harmacy CAT -> Pharmacy School
"M"edical CAT -> Medical School

haha, thank you captain obvious :hardy:

your friend has cognitive issues.
That's putting it politely. I was going to say that s/he was probably high when s/he mentioned that the MCAT is easier than the PCAT.
MCAT difficulty>>>>>>>>>>>>PCAT difficulty.

I took the MCAT and the PCAT as well. 33 MCAT, 98 PCAT. No comparison between the two. Just that the PCAT is waaaaaay easier, but you have to really manage your time.

That's putting it politely. I was going to say that s/he was probably high when s/he mentioned that the MCAT is easier than the PCAT.
MCAT difficulty>>>>>>>>>>>>PCAT difficulty.

I took the MCAT and the PCAT as well. 33 MCAT, 98 PCAT. No comparison between the two. Just that the PCAT is waaaaaay easier, but you have to really manage your time.

you're right, since when the hell was i polite?

i had enough time to get up during the test, piss like a racehorse all the coffee i drank that morning, eat some candy, walk back into the test room, and check my answers for one of the sections.

i don't know why they don't up the difficulty on that test. You can easily jack up the price $40, add in a few random sections, and make a killing.

Well, this whole discussion has made me feel better. I took the MCAT in 2006, got in the low-mid 20's so if the PCAT is a bit easier that's a relief. I take the PCAT on the 18th and I have had only a small amount of time to study due to school and work...:luck:

Well, this whole discussion has made me feel better. I took the MCAT in 2006, got in the low-mid 20's so if the PCAT is a bit easier that's a relief. I take the PCAT on the 18th and I have had only a small amount of time to study due to school and work...:luck:

I took it in 2006 too!! And I got low 20's too!
But PCAT I got 86 composite.

You'll be fine!! Good luck good luck:)

buy the kaplan book and study the hell out of it!

The MCAT is absolute bs. It doesn't test what you know about Anatomy/Physiology, General Bio, Organic Chem (Pre-Req Courses).

Personally, I think the PCAT is a much better tool on judging who would be a better applicant for the health professions. I mean, the only thing the MCAT judges is how you think?

I took the PCAT and I was done with each section with 15 minutes or more left to go because I was able to rapidly spit the information right back.

MCAT, the questions were designed in a way to trick you and make you really think long and hard.

The MCAT is absolute bs. It doesn't test what you know about Anatomy/Physiology, General Bio, Organic Chem (Pre-Req Courses).

Personally, I think the PCAT is a much better tool on judging who would be a better applicant for the health professions. I mean, the only thing the MCAT judges is how you think?

I took the PCAt and I was done with each section with 15 minutes or more left to go because I was able to rapidly spit the information right back.

MCAT, the questions were designed in a way to trick you and make you really think long and hard.
To my understanding i thought that the mcat and pcat where meant to test your ability to learn. It is not just meant for spitting back facts. It is meant to test your analytical skill. However i could be wrong.:shrug:

I took the PCAT and I was done with each section with 15 minutes or more left to go because I was able to rapidly spit the information right back.

haha yeah...the MCAT was designed to trick people, that's how it was taught to me. Granted, one can argue that health care professionals ought to think a certain way rather than actually knowing things. I mean, that's what school is there for. I personally think the PCAT should move toward an MCAT style of testing, but not that extreme.

Because as health professional, you're trained to think and not just regurgitate facts.

There is some really great and useful advise on this thread, really thoughtful replies! :thumbup: