MCAT: Physical Sciences section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMP12345

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other undergrad courses besides Chemistry and Physics that would help in getting the maximum score for this section?

Members don't see this ad.

all of the material you need to know will be taught in those two series. in fact the mcat doesn't get that abstract with them. you just need to know all of the basic formulas and understand stuff like periodic table really well. taking practice tests helped me the most with that section.

Analytical Chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics, General Chemistry and the Kaplan book will prepare you plenty for the MCAT.

sweet thang! It's getting to be about that time when nervous mcat students flood our perfectly good discussion board with mcat questions that are perfectly useless to us. we'll be dealing with them and their silly questions much more in the next few months (ie. what's better TPR or Kaplan (duh-help), or i'm reading my friend's gross anatomy book hardcore right now in preparation for the mcat, how much do you guys think it'll help me). All the while, we'll be sweating our arses off awaiting news from our schools. reminds me of Elton John...the circle of life....

Aahhhhh, This brings back fond memories of the great time when I was preparing for the MCAT. Boy, it was so much fun. I loved it. It was never stressing to me or my life. In fact I wish I could do it again........ (Slapping sound slapping me back from my hallucination)

NOT!!!!!! :D :D

Anyway A caveman is right. This next four months will be filled with MCAT stuff and hey that is fine. I remember posting quite a few MCAT posts myself last year. Bring the questions on future MCATer's.

To answer your question... really all you need for this section is the basic chem and physics. I do remember some question that pertained to bouancy forces and a ship, but other than that I have blocked out my memory about anything else. I can't remember doing many equations or math. It seemed like it was more thought questions and not math work.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!! Cheer up, it will really be here before you could ever imagine.

I 110% agree with Analytical Chemistry. On every MCAT there are questions are galvametrics and solubilities. Those are the two main subjects that Analytical Chemistry covers. I took the MCAT in April '01 and made a 9 in the PS section. However, over the summer I took Analytical Chemistry and my score on the PS section jumped to an 11.
Another class of less benefit is Physical Chemistry. It is the study of chemistry using physics. Be blessed!

As a recent graduate with a BS in Chemistry (I still find that funny) I would like to add a few words. I currently teach MCAT PS for TPR. You do not need any more than basic physics and chem. Though I also enjoyed Analytical before the MCAT (as well as Physical) I must warn you that it will not help with what the MCAT is primarily focused on : testing an analytical mind. In analytical chemistry you basically learn how all the machines work and some statistics, but the information is far and above anything you will ever need on the MCAT. Don't get me started on Physical! Who needs P. Chem for anything! P. Chem by itself is a much more harrowing experience than the MCAT ever will be, and is not worth your time unless you are forced by an evil Chem dept. for your major. Just know your General Chem really well.