mcat physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you purchase a 1.5V AA battery, the manufacturer guarantees that you have received a certain amount of ...
A. Electric field
B. Electric potential
C. Electric potential energy
D. Coulombs of charge

?? im stumped! ive been trying to figure this out forever :(

Members don't see this ad.

synapse said:
When you purchase a 1.5V AA battery, the manufacturer guarantees that you have received a certain amount of ...
A. Electric field
B. Electric potential
D. Coulombs of charge

I'll narrow it down to two:

B. Electric potential
D. Coulombs of charge

and choose:

D. Coulombs of charge

A battery is like a capacitor. Thus, Q = CV, where C is the capacitance and is determined by the geometry and composition of the battery. So, if C is constant and V is initially 1.5 V, then Q will be a fixed amount that depletes over time.

synapse said:
A. Electric field
B. Electric potential
D. Coulombs of charge

voltage is a measurement of of electric potential, so my vote is B

Members don't see this ad :)
I second that

i77ac said:
voltage is a measurement of of electric potential, so my vote is B

the answer is B, a unit of voltage. how this is relevant to medicine i have no idea. but you must know it nonetheless. you must also be able to write a profound, insightful essay in 30 min. apparently doctors must be bloggers as well.

You guys went for the easy answer. SamDC is the only one who has been correct thus far. A battery IS a capacitor. Also, it happens to be the case that there's a pretty wide range of voltages that actually appear on 1.5V batteries. What's always the same is the total charge that has been loaded onto the battery.

bobhagopian said:
You guys went for the easy answer. SamDC is the only one who has been correct thus far. A battery IS a capacitor. Also, it happens to be the case that there's a pretty wide range of voltages that actually appear on 1.5V batteries. What's always the same is the total charge that has been loaded onto the battery.

great. i picked C. i'll never be a doctor :scared:

I got an idea.. how about choice

E. Post in the MCAT FORUM.

haha... just playin. the answer is D. (I'm a bio med engineering major) I promise!

synapse said:
A. Electric field
B. Electric potential
D. Coulombs of charge

hey synapse

you must be in dr. collins class at uci. im in his class and he just gave that question to us as a warmup prob. the answer's elec potential if you missed lecture this morning. anyways, g' luck with his class.