MCAT power, current, voltage question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Power companies try to save the amount of copper needed for power lines by using thinner wires, which makes R quite high.
  • To minimize P dissipated by the wires, they minimize I by maximizing V. This is why power lines transfer electricity at high voltage.
P=IV=I^2R

Can someone tell me how this makes sense...? I tried to use the Power equation to see the correlation but I don't see it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are two different powers. 1. The power we want to deliver from the factories to the homes and 2. the power dissipated or lost along the way. P1 is a fixed value base upon P=IV. P2=I^2R=V^2/R so if we want P2 to be as small as possible we must lower I or raise V. Luckily for us both must happen because P1 is fixed.

So the most efficient way to transmit electricity is at a high voltage with small current. Then transformers step it down it a lower voltage for us to use.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know the answer, but good for you. I hope OP is also happy with the answer.

The question, IMO, says given P=RI^2=V^2/R (i.e. P is directly proportional to V and I), how come they have opposite effects?

Reactions: 1 user
It goes back to the fact that we are talking about two different powers. 1 is the power we are transmitting and the other is the power that is lost along the way. The power that makes it to our houses would be P1-P2. We want P2 to be as small as possible.

Maybe it will make sense quantitatively.

Say we want to transmit 1000W of electrical power to a neighborhood. P=IV always so if we transmit 1000 W at 1000 V the current would be 1 amp, 500 V 2 amps and so on. As for the power lost along the way that is like you said P=I^2*R. and we'll say the resistance for the wire is 10 ohms.

Comparing the two extremes (1000V 1 amp v. 1000 amp and 1 V) we get

P-lost=1^2*10=10W lost Voltage drop across the wire is V=IR so 1*10=10 Voltage drop P-lost=(10^2)/10=10 Watts

And the other extreme

P-lost=1000^2*10= 10000000W, but wait that is greater than the Power we started with, so an important point is made. Because we start with only 1 volt we cannot drop more than that along the wire. Solving for the max current under these conditions would be Vdrop/R=I= .1 amps (1V/10 ohms). The lower voltage actually forces the system to flow at a lower current.

Say we transmit 500 V at 2 Amp

P-lost=2^2*10=40 Watts lost. Double checking with P=V^2/R Vdrop=2*10=20 Thus (20^2)/10=40 Watts lost.

Does that clarify at all?

Reactions: 1 users
It goes back to the fact that we are talking about two different powers. 1 is the power we are transmitting and the other is the power that is lost along the way. The power that makes it to our houses would be P1-P2. We want P2 to be as small as possible.

Maybe it will make sense quantitatively.

Say we want to transmit 1000W of electrical power to a neighborhood. P=IV always so if we transmit 1000 W at 1000 V the current would be 1 amp, 500 V 2 amps and so on. As for the power lost along the way that is like you said P=I^2*R. and we'll say the resistance for the wire is 10 ohms.

Comparing the two extremes (1000V 1 amp v. 1000 amp and 1 V) we get

P-lost=1^2*10=10W lost Voltage drop across the wire is V=IR so 1*10=10 Voltage drop P-lost=(10^2)/10=10 Watts

And the other extreme

P-lost=1000^2*10= 10000000W, but wait that is greater than the Power we started with, so an important point is made. Because we start with only 1 volt we cannot drop more than that along the wire. Solving for the max current under these conditions would be Vdrop/R=I= .1 amps (1V/10 ohms). The lower voltage actually forces the system to flow at a lower current.

Say we transmit 500 V at 2 Amp

P-lost=2^2*10=40 Watts lost. Double checking with P=V^2/R Vdrop=2*10=20 Thus (20^2)/10=40 Watts lost.

Does that clarify at all?

This cleared it up. Thank you! :)