MCAT predictability for success as a med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the MS-II's and above out there: What are your views on the MCAT's ability to predict how well you or your classmates have done in med school thus far?

As a new MS-III, it's been my experience that those in my class with the highest MCAT scores (by now most people know how others did)are for the most part in the middle of the pack, while many of the top people in my class had only average MCAT scores (26-30). Of course most of these people studied 24/7 for the past 2 years. Do you think this is a normal trend, or is it just at my school?

Members don't see this ad.

national studies have repeatedly proven that the mcat is a relatively good test. Plus while grades matter, the boards are more important

I'm not disputing the fact that the MCAT is a VALID (meaning it tests the topics it sets out to in a reasonable manner)test, but my question is rather how well the MCAT predicts success in Med school itself: grades, board scores, or otherwise.

My experience is that it doesn't seem to be all that predictable. Many people who scored well on the MCAT are average med students, while some who had an average to low MCAT do really well. I'm not looking for a reason to advocate the abolition of the MCAT. There HAS to be some standard. I just find it fascinating how hung up some people get on their MCAT score - good or bad.

If you have any numbers indicating the opposite to be true, please share.

thanks!

[This message has been edited by bhl (edited 06-28-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say for myself because I don't start school until Aug. But, my friend who had stats of 36 and 3.9 and attended a school where the average was about 30 and 3.7 ended up in the middle of her class. She said it was a crushing blow the first year because she was used to being at the top of the class and no matter how hard she studied she landed somewhere in the middle.

Med school performance is more a reflection of your endurance and motivational levels than anything else. MCAT scores are therefore poor predictors.