MCAT prep classes: did you actually attend lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious. i'm good at VR and BS, so i've all but stopped going, as my time seems to be better utilized by working on my own (although i still attend chm/phy pretty regularly).

if you've taken the princeton review (like me), kaplan, or whatever, did you eventually stop going to class? if so, when did you stop, and how did things turn out on the real test?

i need some input!
thanks as always

Members don't see this ad.

I went to all the classes, but I don't think it was helpful. I basically went because I felt I paid enough money that I really should be going + I felt bad for my teacher. I took kaplan btw. I think the most important thing is not the class, but the practice exams that are offered (either scheduled or in a testing bank). Do as many as possible and go over them after you take them to check the ones you got wrong.

I went to all the lectures, and while most of the time I was bored, there were certain topics that I was glad that I reviewed with an "expert."

In my opinion, you might as well go. It can't hurt. :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to all the classes.
for two reasons:
1. I also took princeton review and wanted to take the course free if i had to take the MCAT again
2. w/ all that $ i spent there would've been no point (could've bought the books from someone)--thus, guilt

yes, i went to all of the science lectures, but skipped out on the VR classes b/c my teacher was a TOOL.......it ended up being my worst section, but i was happy with my score :thumbup:

thats a lot of money to spend not to go. personally since it was my own money i saved up to take this class i would have killed myself if i missed any lecture.

i just attended lectures and thats it. couldnt go to the sat tests cause i didnt have the time cause i needed to work. i liked TBR lectures and i took good notes. after the classes were over...i just studied my notes for a day or two and took the test.

Yes, I did and it actually helps.

I go, and I am finding it really helpful, most of the time. :thumbup:

I found it more time efficient to go and watch the video of the class that day while everyone else was in lecture...then I could go straight to taking practice tests and I was always done with the video before class was out...worked for me

thanks for all the replies, everybody.

considering the attendance at my classes, i guess i'm a little surprised at the general consensus here, but oh well. i recognize the "i paid the $, so i might as well go" aspect of the situation, but i was just wondering if anyone found that they thrived going solo.

keep 'em comin'--you guys are the best

I don't think the " I paid the money so I should go" is a very smart thing to go by. I mean, if your time is spent more efficiently out of class - then by all means it worth losing the money and getting more knowledge. Of course, I'm talking about when you feel the class is a waste of time. I stopped going because I spend my time reading and taking notes more efficient. I went for only 3 weeks. The instructor agreed that some people just do better without the course and vice versa. So don't just go because you already paid! Do what's gonna help your score the most.

i went to class back when i took the mcat. Now, i think that the best decision would be to ditch class and use that time to cram more info or do practice tests. If u dont understand somehting, just go to office hours of the instructor.

the most helpful resources were practice exams, learn the concepts behind the questions because u will get them in some way shape or form.

Going to class can be a waste; unless the material is hard and u have a really good teacher that can break it down.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i go...partly cause i paid the $, but also just because i don't think it hurts. some of this stuff i haven't seen since my frosh year, and i know i'll review it better in class than flying solo (darn distractions).

Hey,

So, last week I just decided to stop attending. My situation might be far different from yours. I work full time during the day in a hosptial and I take two classes a week int he evening. The other two nights a week I have Kaplan. I've found, however, that I'm needing more time than I have to keep reviewing information. I'm a non-traditional student and havent taken gen chem in six years, so i have some major relearning to still do (and im taking the april mcat). went to a bio II last week (my undergrad major) and nailed it all... that helped me realize that I can handle the kaplan passages, i just have to be as comfortable with my other subjects as I am with my bio. im still going to verbal and writing though, because ive been told by all my friends in medical school (all of my friend cept for two) that kaplan verbal is essential. so, thats my deal... and i definately paid for it myself - couldnt take the class or mcat last year cause i couldnt afford review materials... but the practice tests are key... and kaplan supplies so many... i just realized i was wasting essential study time in some of the lectures...

I did PR; specifically because they make EXCELLENT study materials that read like textbooks in that they are great on their own. YOu need to determine what you need the most time with, what section you have to really work on to excel and then lastly- HOW YOU LEARN BEST. this is key because for the mcat/med school you have to be able to synthesize all that info into a story/pathway that you understand in your own way, then work from there.

so i figured out what i would learn better on my own.

I sort of think the "I paid the money so I should just go" reasoning can be inefficient. if I had something better to do that day (since i was still in school) I wouldn't attend a lecture that I could learn pretty well on my own. I'd just save any questions for the lecturer's OFFICE HOURS.

one other thing- -- my verbal prof was a bit eccentric. however the books are excellent and give you more time for PERSONAL practice than sitting in that room will.

IMO, PR attracts the independent learner; everything you need to know is right there in the materials. Kaplan has videos, etc. that you have to go to the center to use. just wasn't convenient for me.

nothing makes up for doing a zillion practice tests! and if you're taking the class in the summer- none of this applies--- get yourself to class!

good luck

It's all about spending $150 (or whatever it was) on the Examkrackers books and studying yourself. Best decision I ever made.

i stopped going to TPR. the lectures are useless. For the bio our teacher basicallty reads the book for us and assigns certain topics to be read on our own. Also, I dont like the verbal strategies...they dont work for me.

However, I attend most of the Physical Sciences classes since thats where I need help in

You should do what you think will help you do best on the MCAT. If using "lecture time" to study solo works for you, and you can stay motivated, then that that is what I'd do. But it should serve as a lesson to those who haven't paid for the class yet. . . studying on your own is a better way to learn. The bottom line is your MCAT score. Find a way to get the best one that you can.

I took the class and went to most of the lectures. Personally, I felt that I needed the structure to study. If you can do it on your own, more power to you. I thought that the books and study materials (TPR) were good though.

i did TPR too.....it was during the summer, too nice to be inside, and my verbal instructor actually had me stay after class to ask me why i was bothering....the thing was, i just really despised her, she was condescending and mean to people, and so i chose not to pay attention to her...besides, their verbal strategies suck....she thought i'd fail the verbal...i did just the opposite....i showed HER!!! :p

I also did TPR and only attended the phy/chem lectures. The bio and verbal teacher was awful; I could cover more material by reading it myself. I did have to work through the guilt of not going after shelling out the money for it, but I figured wasting my time in lecture is going to do nothing to help me get my money back. <flush> I have since been advising people not to bother taking the course and just buy practice tests and some self study books. I might have wasted $ but I'll try to prevent others from doing the same.

interesting stuff, everyone. i think my motivation for skipping is different than that of many of you. although i acknowledge that verbal classes are pretty superfluous (can you read? can you answer questions?), i wouldn't say that any of my teachers are bad at all. one of them is actually excellent (ochem/gchem dude). he's already in at ohio state, vandy, and he's waiting on upenn and haaaarvard's decisions. anyway, i'm just glad to hear so many of you were able to kick ass on your own. sweet.

I took and now teach Kaplan. Personally, I stopped going to class about 2/3 of the way through. I decided for me, going over the general content wasnt as important as getting lots of practice. For the most part, though, the students I've taught that have done the best have all gone to lecture. They were also the guys who were at the center just about everyday for weeks leading up to it. Figure out what you need to do and do it. Either way, the most important thing is to practice. You can read review notes until you die, but practicing is what'll make you rule the world.

I took PR. I guess I came out lucky, all the teachers I had were excellent (Verbal guy was a little odd, but *shrug*)

Being a non-trad, I took the course during the summer. I had to drive 2 hours each way to get there, but I only missed 2 classes...

But that's just me, you do what you think is best for you. I enjoyed the review.