MCAT prep help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore and plan to take the MCAT in August. Do you have any recs for books I could use or how I could most effectively prep for the test?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're planning on prepping fully on your own, my best advice would be to get a bit of practice in and see what you think you need to work on the most. There's a good chance that your library has some practice tests on reserve.. I'd look into that. Then see where your strengths and weaknesses are, review your problem areas (old text books are great.. as well as mcat study guides, www.mcatpearls.com is great, study guides at the library, tons of books at book stores, etc). Also there are a lot of great prep courses out there if you want to spend the money and think you'd learn better in a classroom setting (kaplan, princeton review..). Good luck! Are you planning on graduating early?

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ beat me to it. Unless you've already completed all the premed courses and plan to apply as a junior in the next cycle, save your $200 registration fee and stick to taking practice MCATs from a $30 book.

CQ

McGillGrad said:
Why would you take it so early?
Taking the August isnt all that early. It would be one administration before the other people in cycle with you would. Here are some reasons many choose to do so if they have all of their pre-reqs:

1. Specifically for Aug 2006, it is the last paper and pencil test.
2. Availability of a whole summer to prepare for the test.
3. Material is fresh from the courses.
4. Get it over with or be able to retake in April without having a late app.

BrettBatchelor said:
Taking the August isnt all that early. It would be one administration before the other people in cycle with you would. Here are some reasons many choose to do so if they have all of their pre-reqs:

1. Specifically for Aug 2006, it is the last paper and pencil test.
2. Availability of a whole summer to prepare for the test.
3. Material is fresh from the courses.
4. Get it over with or be able to retake in April without having a late app.

I overlooked the first reason. Good catch.