May 29, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have dealt with depression during my undergraduate. I started reviewing for the MCAT back in the summer of 2020. I went through Kaplan review books twice, the 300-page behavioral sciences review, and other free material and took extensive notes. I had really good intentions of using my extra time since things were canceled due to covid during this fall semester to study and get ready for the exam. My depression stems from not having many friends at my undergrad and feeling alone. It started back in Fall 2019, but was minor and didn't really affect me too much. This semester was different -- it hit me really hard. I still did well in school (almost 4.0 GPA), volunteered as I could, practiced my sport, participated in extracurricular activities, etc. However, my depression really took a lot of my extra time away from me and I never got around to studying for the MCAT. I finished the semester and then had this holiday week. I now have about 3 weeks until my test -- AHHH!

I have nothing to do these next 3 weeks, so I can fully commit to the MCAT, but it makes me nervous. I don't want to push it too much because I will be applying to medical school this summer. My parents will be paying for my complete application cycle but only if I apply this summer (no gap year). I don't know whether to push it back or just try my best with the time that I have and retake it in April if necessary, etc.

Last edited:

lumya

Indoor Cat
2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Have you taken a practice test? It'll help you get a good feeling about how much of the material you know. If you're pretty good on content review and you're generally a good test taker, I don't think it's impossible to do.

That said, if you take a couple practice tests and are you aren't in a good place, it's better to postpone than to get a bad score.

Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
First, RELAX. It’s just a test. Second, three weeks is not enough to thoroughly review AAMC FL’s. You need at least 5 weeks. Regardless, try to take one and see how you do on it, but I highly suggest taking it only when you’re ready.
Third, read my signature. You will be fine.

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
You can take your MCAT as late as June and still be considered early during the application cycle. The timeline is a bit confusing so let me know if you want to know what your timeline would look like with a June MCAT.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.