MCAT Question/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobstone

Reaction score
hello everyone, ive been lurking around here quite a while and decided to create a account. i need advice regarding MCAT. i would like to apply in this cycle but i want to take mcat in march, which means i will get the result in april. so my question is if i apply in april, is that too late? I thought about taking MCAT in January but i fear i dont have much time to study and also will have finals next month.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone, ive been lurking around here quite a while and decided to create a account. i need advice regarding MCAT. i would like to apply in this cycle but i want to take mcat in march, which means i will get the result in april. so my question is if i apply in april, is that too late? I thought about taking MCAT in January but i fear i dont have much time to study and also will have finals next month.

thanks in advance.

No, it is not too late.
Unlike MD/DO apps, we have rolling admissions up until the last day the cycle closes.

There have been some here (pending stats) who have been offered interview invites before taking their MCAT.

If your stats are capable, go ahead and fill out your application and submit. Then focus entirely on the MCAT and kill it.

Reactions: 3 users
It also depends on the school you are interested in attending. Smaller schools such as AZPod will have the great majority of their class filled by then but schools with larger class sizes usually still have a good number of seats available.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, it is not too late.
Unlike MD/DO apps, we have rolling admissions up until the last day the cycle closes.

There have been some here (pending stats) who have been offered interview invites before taking their MCAT.

If your stats are capable, go ahead and fill out your application and submit. Then focus entirely on the MCAT and kill it.

thank you for the response weirdy. My stats aren't that great. i have a 3.1 c GPA and 2.9 sGPA. i have been shadowing a DPM for several months now, i can get a letter from him and i can also get a couple of letters from science professors. do you suggest i go ahead and fllout the application and update it once i get the MCAT results?

It also depends on the school you are interested in attending. Smaller schools such as AZPod will have the great majority of their class filled by then but schools with larger class sizes usually still have a good number of seats available.

Hmmm. ideally, I'd like to get in at NYCPM but if I'm open to other schools. can you tell me which schools are bigger and which are smaller?

Those GPAs are a little low, I would try and shoot for a 495+ to feel good about applying.

I would apply now and see if you can get an interview.

thank you for the response weirdy. My stats aren't that great. i have a 3.1 c GPA and 2.9 sGPA. i have been shadowing a DPM for several months now, i can get a letter from him and i can also get a couple of letters from science professors. do you suggest i go ahead and fllout the application and update it once i get the MCAT results?

Those GPAs are a little low, I would try and shoot for a 495+ to feel good about applying.

I would apply now and see if you can get an interview.

Yea the goal is to get a 495+ on the mcat. Im suffering a bit in GPA department, even though there is a big upward curve.

You really think i can maybe land a interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Bigger schools yes, before the mcat. After the mcat, depending on what you get, the more picky schools could come into play, ie, you score a 500, then most if not all schools are on the table.

I would apply to all the schools you are interested in. Big schools (Kent, Barry, maybe Chicago) will maybe invite you for interview.

I’ve seen plenty of people with your GPA get in, provided they land a 490+ on the MCAT. Even if you score a 490, you may still be able to get into one of the big schools with your GPA, but it might not be your “first choice”. Still, DPM=DPM, regardless of where you went for school.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Yea the goal is to get a 495+ on the mcat. Im suffering a bit in GPA department, even though there is a big upward curve.

Reactions: 1 users

You are fine. Pending your upward trend they do take that into account.

Score 495+ and you will get an acceptance. But once you get in, work hard. It will be an uphill battle.

I had very similar stats to yours. Not trying to scare you, just encouraging you to keep busting your butt.

I was in a similar boat, lowish gpas (roughly 3.1 for every gpa) with a strong upward trend, but scored a 506 on the MCAT. Every school I applied to offered me an interview (scholl, temple, CSPM, barry, NYCPM, AZPod, DMU). Haven't interviewed yet so I don't know if I'll get in, but it means you can get interviews even at picky schools with a good enough MCAT.

I was in a similar boat, lowish gpas (roughly 3.1 for every gpa) with a strong upward trend, but scored a 506 on the MCAT. Every school I applied to offered me an interview (scholl, temple, CSPM, barry, NYCPM, AZPod, DMU). Haven't interviewed yet so I don't know if I'll get in, but it means you can get interviews even at picky schools with a good enough MCAT.

Thanks for the reply! Congratulations on landing the interviews! keep me updated!