MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKTEXAN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know when I should take the MCAT. Im a senior business major that is taking pre-med course work. I plan on applying to Meharry SOM for the fall 2011. When should I start to study for it and when should I take it? (I should graduate fall 2011)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, does anyone know when I should take the MCAT. Im a senior business major that is taking pre-med course work. I plan on applying to Meharry SOM for the fall 2011. When should I start to study for it and when should I take it? (I should graduate fall 2011)

You should take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) when you are prepared for it (done plenty of practice exam using retired MCAT exams) and when you have a solid knowledge base of the pre-med subjects that you can apply to the types of questions that are tested on the MCAT. You can get a list of tested topics from the MCAT information website. Make sure that you have thoroughly mastered those topics as you move through your coursework.

You need to be sure that you are thoroughly mastering your pre-med subject matter. Once you have done this, you need to be sure that you can apply that knowledge to a variety of ways. The best way to see how the MCAT tests is to order some of the retired MCAT exams (available from the MCAT site) and analyze the questions very carefully. You could order one of those tests right now and start looking at the questions. Later on, after you have reviewed, do a couple of the tests under actual MCAT testing conditions and see if you are ready.

Don't make the mistake of taking this very important before you are done with your coursework especially because you are not a science major. You also need to be very "test savvy" with this exam. Also, plan on taking this exam one time and doing well on it without exception. Multiple retakes with poor results will not get you into medical school and may work against you. Good luck.

I agree with the above statement.

Additionally,the MCAT Subforum was instrumental in providing me with guidance in pertinence to what sources to utilize, obtaining an optimal time line, and formulating potential study plans and methods.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31

However, I always found it quite odd that almost everyone in that subforum reports averaging scores above 35s on their practice MCAT(s). Don't pay attention to it or let it discourage you. Focus on your personal improvement and readiness.

Thanks to both of you! I'll start studying after this semester when Ill be done with most of my pre med classes...