MCAT Retake Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThiaminePyroPhosphate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some serious advice. I took the MCAT on sept 4, and got a score of 12/8/10 (30). Funny thing is I thought the biology and verbal section were a lot easier than the practice tests, and the physical section I found it to be harder. But my marks reflect the exact opposite, this totally shattered my confidence. I have to retake since most Canadian medical schools need a minimum score of at least a 10 on verbal. On the practice AMMC tests I was averaging around a 32, PS: 11-13 VR: 8-10 Bio: 11-12. So the actual test day mark was close to my average. Now the question is, should I retake in January (if I find a seat) OR should I write the 2015 MCAT? I’m taking a full course load this year, so finding time to study for the MCAT is going to be tough. I would have to sacrifice time spent studying for the courses, and focus on the MCAT. If I start studying right after the last day of school exams in December, I would have approximately 20 full days. Realistically speaking, is it possible to do well? What would I do in those 20 days? I was thinking of doing verbal passages starting now, every day until January, and then do content review in those 20 days, and do like 4 practice tests.

Resources I used to study first time: all Princeton review material. I went through half of the EK verbal material. I did all AMMC practice tests. I studied for a total of 3 months :(

Available: I have the Berkley Review books, Princeton Review practice tests, Kaplan tests

I’m not applying to medical school this year so another possibility would be to take it in the summer and write the 2015 MCAT. The problem is I have a weak background in psychology & sociology, and it’s a totally different test. I feel like I would do better in the 2014 MCAT.

Lastly, let's say I manage to find a seat for January MCAT, would it be possible to reschedule (within bronze zone) to the new 2015 MCAT summer/ April dates? Or are the 2015 dates separate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not say that some part time, disjointed studying during a full course load followed by 20 days of full time studying would yield you much.

I would not say that some part time, disjointed studying during a full course load followed by 20 days of full time studying would yield you much.
idk, if he already has a 30 i think it'd be more than enough time to improve and get a few more points in 20 days.

idk, if he already has a 30 i think it'd be more than enough time to improve and get a few more points in 20 days.

here was my thought process

full schedule means 18 credit hours to me. that's a lot. especially assuming 6-9 of those are science? 2-3 science courses?

I would be pretty burned out studying for finals for 5-6 classes, then to follow up with 20+ hours per week of studying for the MCAT? it's obviously harder to go from a 10 to an 11 than it is to go from a 7 to an 8, so the difficulty is already up there.

he/she asked for my opinion, I gave it.

Members don't see this ad :)
here was my thought process

full schedule means 18 credit hours to me. that's a lot. especially assuming 6-9 of those are science? 2-3 science courses?

I would be pretty burned out studying for finals for 5-6 classes, then to follow up with 20+ hours per week of studying for the MCAT? it's obviously harder to go from a 10 to an 11 than it is to go from a 7 to an 8, so the difficulty is already up there.

he/she asked for my opinion, I gave it.

not attacking you, just giving my opinion. if i were to do it, id put classes first while solidifying concepts (content review) maybe 10-20 hrs a week. Then the 20 days I'd use for practice exams. just my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys! It seems overwhelming :(, I'm afraid of not being as prepared for the science section the 2nd time around. I'll have to think about it...

I would start studying for a test in January primarily because you don't want to kick yourself later if you found it that it would have been very feasible.
I think considering the proximity of your recent test and the time you have until January, that it's doable if you studying smart. I'd recommend taking VR passages from TPR hyper learning and science passages from TBR every day (coupled with some content review as needed and when time allows) and do a bunch of tests once your semester is over as you mentioned.

Additionally, check the AAMC website every day for seats that may open up.
And if you realize by December that you won't be where you wanted to be then the time you put in now will not become obsolete for the new test.