Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I will get a lot of flak for this and rightly so but I retook my initial 516 (132/125/130/129) because of the unexpectedly low CARS and because it was much lower than my practice FLs (mid 520s).
I retook on 6/12, and have already counted -7 CP -7 BB (so I'm predicting 129s) and not too confident on CARS so there's a very real possibility I score lower than my initial score. I'm predicting 514 as absolute worst case.
My question is, how much of a red-flag is this? Do I still have chances at t20s or does a lower retake completely kill it? I've attached my stats and info about my application below. Very worried so any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!
21M, ORM
MD resident
cGPA : 3.98, sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 516 (132/125/130/129) But might have scored lower second time
3000 hours clinical ophthalmology research focused on research biomarkers for early disease detection(5 first author presentations at national/international conferences, and 8 2nd author abstracts and 3 3rd author abstracts). 1st author paper we just submitted (will be published by time i submit secondaries) and another 2nd author paper that will be submitted by secondaries time snd published in ~August . Another paper where I'm first author that will be submitted by secondaries time
750 hours clinical volunteering (500 hours from a free clinic im co-director of, got 2 service awards, and 2nd place at a social impact pitch competition for this clinic)
600 hours biomedical device startup for early detection still early stages but we have filed a patent (patent pending status) + clinical trials soon and I have gotten a few awards for this as well (accelerator awards and innovation awards)
300 hours research fellowship focused on SDOH + Public Health (only 4 people selected for it)
300 hours health policy internship with national org aimed at increasing accessibility for testing
200 hours nonclinical volunteering by teaching immigrants and other underserved populations english
300 hours TAing
60 hours shadowing (ophtho + nephro)
400 hours leadership position for a club that I've been in all 4 years of college
LORs: 2 sciences, 1 non science. 1 from research, 1 from free clinic, and 1 from mentor for startup. Should all be good LORs 8/10
Personal Statement : Lots of people said my personal statement was great and I think I wrote it pretty cohesively as well, follows my application's theme of helping the underserved. Average rating i got on it was 8.5-9/10.
I retook on 6/12, and have already counted -7 CP -7 BB (so I'm predicting 129s) and not too confident on CARS so there's a very real possibility I score lower than my initial score. I'm predicting 514 as absolute worst case.
My question is, how much of a red-flag is this? Do I still have chances at t20s or does a lower retake completely kill it? I've attached my stats and info about my application below. Very worried so any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!
21M, ORM
MD resident
cGPA : 3.98, sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 516 (132/125/130/129) But might have scored lower second time
3000 hours clinical ophthalmology research focused on research biomarkers for early disease detection(5 first author presentations at national/international conferences, and 8 2nd author abstracts and 3 3rd author abstracts). 1st author paper we just submitted (will be published by time i submit secondaries) and another 2nd author paper that will be submitted by secondaries time snd published in ~August . Another paper where I'm first author that will be submitted by secondaries time
750 hours clinical volunteering (500 hours from a free clinic im co-director of, got 2 service awards, and 2nd place at a social impact pitch competition for this clinic)
600 hours biomedical device startup for early detection still early stages but we have filed a patent (patent pending status) + clinical trials soon and I have gotten a few awards for this as well (accelerator awards and innovation awards)
300 hours research fellowship focused on SDOH + Public Health (only 4 people selected for it)
300 hours health policy internship with national org aimed at increasing accessibility for testing
200 hours nonclinical volunteering by teaching immigrants and other underserved populations english
300 hours TAing
60 hours shadowing (ophtho + nephro)
400 hours leadership position for a club that I've been in all 4 years of college
LORs: 2 sciences, 1 non science. 1 from research, 1 from free clinic, and 1 from mentor for startup. Should all be good LORs 8/10
Personal Statement : Lots of people said my personal statement was great and I think I wrote it pretty cohesively as well, follows my application's theme of helping the underserved. Average rating i got on it was 8.5-9/10.
Last edited: