MCAT Retake, How to best study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going have to retake the MCAT. The first go-around I took a TPR class. I'm thinking it may not be the best strat to use these materials again. A friend of mine gave me his EK books. I was going to use these and order the BR books for Chem and Phys. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

TPR has more information than EK. EK is kind of like a quick summary of stuff and they even leave out information. Just be warned that using EK doesn't mean you'll do better. I hear BR is good. What went wrong for you the first time? did you not practice enough?

If you want more specific advice give us more information on what you used to study for it the first time, and how long ago that was. Used up EK 101 Verbal? 1001 question series? TPR verbal/science workbook? What FLs did you already do?

I primarily used TPR's materials. I did several FL's as well, 3, 7, 8, 10. One thing I did was a lot of "reading" of the books and note taking and perhaps not enough practice problems, both passage types and discrete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely use the science workbook and verbal workbook. I think you should still have access to TPR's online materials. They have decent drills online on all sections, and are those AAMC FLs? But you seem to have diagnosed your own problem. Do many more practice problems as well as FLs. Since you're looking to get TBR, it is a good source of practice material from what I've heard.

Hi, I've heard TPR's books are great content-wise (I took Kaplan, and Kaplan's books are pretty alright), so maybe you can focus on AAMC tests if you have them available. The EK 1001 Physics and Chemistry books are good for drills and making sure you have everything solid in your mind for test day. Getting ready for the MCAT is a lot of practice and training, keep it up!