MCAT retake options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlliniEMT1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine that is taking the MCAT in a couple weeks wants to know what she should do if she gets her score back and really feels like she needs to re-take it in Aug. Would she still be able to apply during the next app cycle? If so, would she have to wait until Aug scores came back to do the primary? Or would she be better off waiting till next year to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

If ya friend decides to take the the aug exam, then med school would'nt look at your application till those scores are in (even if your friend submit the AMCAS by the opening date , June 15). If your friend tries to submit those score for Fall 2003 enrollment, your friend may be at a disadvantage because of rolling admission. Meaning some student can be awarded acceptance early in the years which translate less seat to people who haven't sent all materials required with the AMCAS application. Your friend could apply for the following year (e.g. Fall 2004), but your friend has to wait a whole year to apply again, but by then The MCAT score will be in to the school on time. iF your friend wants to try for the Fall 2003 enrollment with Aug 2002 MCAT scores then your friend should send the AMCAS application as soon as possible so that as soon as the aug scores are in (they are sent directly to the schools ) they'll have your application without any further delay. I'm sure if I miss something, someone on this site will speak up. Good luck to your friend.

If you send the AMCAS in before your Aug MCAT scores are back- how will schools know to wait for the score, rather than just use the april score?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by IlliniEMT1:
•If you send the AMCAS in before your Aug MCAT scores are back- how will schools know to wait for the score, rather than just use the april score?•••••During after the exam, you have an option of not releasing the scores (e.g. if you feel you bombed it), but you may do so afterwards (e.g. if you find your scores acceptable) to those schools you're interested in. This is all explained in the MCAT application pamplet on pg. 58-59 or just download it from the AAMC website. You could call them to expect your August 2002 MCAT scores. There's also a section on the AMCAS application that states whether you'll be taking the upcoming Aug. 2002 exam to let them know.

Smooth is correct here. Just wanted to add that if your friend marks they willbe taking the August exam and the April scores were not good, the school will not send any rejections until the August score is received. They will know to wait for the score before further evaluating the applicant.

I WISH I had retaken in August last year! Now I might have to take the August mcats THIS summer.

Also, if your friend is not ready to take the mcats this april, it might be better just to wait. It's always best to get it right the first time. If he/she is getting ok scores on practice tests now, i would say it's ok to go ahead and take it in April.

Hope this helps :)