MCAT Retake study suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanthony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and I just got scores. I've decided to retake on the 21st and am looking for some suggestions. I need help on the physical sciences section mainly. For my first MCAT, I used the EK Complete Package and the EK 101 Verbal book to study. Since I have a few weeks until I retake, what do you suggest I use to study? I'll obviously go back to the EK Physics and EK Chemistry books I have already but would it be worth it to buy the 101 Question books for extra practice? Also, I took all of the AAMC practice tests before the first time as well. Whole-test practice suggestions too? Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

You should give yourself more time so you can get BR Physics and Gen Chem. Another option would be giving yourself more time and getting TPR Hyperlearning Physics and Gen Chem along with TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook. As you can tell, you need more time. EK isn't great in PS. You need more resources.

Furthermore, you will need to get more practice tests. Gold Standard and BR are good options.

However, the first thing you must do is analyze what went wrong during your last study period.

are the BR practice tests worth $200 for 7? I am running short on money after purchasing 6 aamc online ones.

To OP... I totally understand your situation, you want to get done with the MCAT in time for this application cycle, but like SN2ed mentioned, I will have to agree that you need more time with those PHysical Sciences... Someone on SDN had posted this in the 30+ thread that the score you get on PS DIRECTLY correlates with the amount of time you spend on PS... and I totally agree with that. Also, the material that you use makes a HUGH difference.. I think that 15 days is a bit too less for BR to work its magic, so you may want to try to get your hands on Princeton Review Science Workbook, which is great for practice...

All the best for the preparation and the exam

Members don't see this ad :)
are the BR practice tests worth $200 for 7? I am running short on money after purchasing 6 aamc online ones.

In my opinion, anything BR is worth $$$, because its just great material... HOWEVER, it is only great if you are able to spend a lot of time with it, just because of the plethora of practice and information that is hidden in those books

Thank you all for your suggestions. My concern is that a few of the schools I'm applying to don't accept scores for MCATs taken past August I believe. However, some past September too. With classes starting again on the 26th, I wasn't sure what would be my best option - that's why I went with Aug. 21st. I know my problem is also time...

I've been looking up the books/tests you've all suggested. Thank you - Not sure what I've decided to go with yet but I'm hoping to finalize that today certainly.

make a friend whos taking kaplan/tpr and use their tests/study books. me and a friend of mine both retook so we traded exams so we had fresh measures and didnt need to spend $$$ on them.

dont even bother taking FL's on paper...its very unrealistic.

Thank you all for your suggestions. My concern is that a few of the schools I'm applying to don't accept scores for MCATs taken past August I believe. However, some past September too. With classes starting again on the 26th, I wasn't sure what would be my best option - that's why I went with Aug. 21st. I know my problem is also time...

I've been looking up the books/tests you've all suggested. Thank you - Not sure what I've decided to go with yet but I'm hoping to finalize that today certainly.

In case you're too short on time, you might want to get Gold Standard's practice tests. They have a much better ordering system than BR and it shouldn't take long to get access.

First thing I can recommend is changing your strategy. Whatever you did to study the first time did not work, so do it differently. We often think we could put more effort, but only a few people can really improve a poor score by simply spending more time...
Secondly, I used the Schaum's books to prepare for the science sections. Although they are not MCAT specific, they are much cheaper and have thousands (literally) of solved problems with which you can ace the basic concepts in physics, bio and chem. This way you will only spend time figuring out which basic concepts are tested on a question, instead of the additional effort of trying to remember how projectiles work. Here are the three books I used for Physics: EK 1001, Schaum's outline, Schaum's 3000

In any case, good luck!

In case you're too short on time, you might want to get Gold Standard's practice tests. They have a much better ordering system than BR and it shouldn't take long to get access.

I am also in a similar situation. I have already taken all of the AAMC tests and used EK. Would you suggest taking Kaplan's FL 1-6 (I only have the paper versions)? I was also debating taking Kaplan's PS and BS only and supplementing with EK 101 Passages for each test.

What other tests should I take (I could probably take 3-4 more)? Do you recommend the free tests TPR, GS, Kaplan, EK (the one that came with the full set) offer?

Thanks!