mcat retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey premedders, medders,
have any of you had any personal experience with medical school acceptances with a 7V (I have a 29, 3.8) mcat score? if so, which schools? im debating whether to retake it or not, but the entire day is just damn grueling.

Members don't see this ad.

it is possible to get into med schools. a friend of mine last year had around a 3.9, and a 31 on the mcat (7V and 12s on the sciences), and is now at Northwestern. HOWEVER, he had a killer time trying to get into the top ranked schools. If his verbal had been higher, he would have had a good chance at schools like Penn or JHU or WashU. he did have a columbia interview but was waitlisted there. To be on the safe side, I would suggest maybe retaking them and getting the verbal up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it again just to raise your verbal some. Still, you have a good score.

so it depends on what kind of school you're shooting for. if you want a top 10 school, then you definitely need to retake it. A 7 in verbal really hurts at these places. If you just want to get into A school, then you should be fine in terms of numbers. Remember it also depends on a lot of other stuffs (EC, undergrad, LOR, race, state of residence, interview, etc.).

I know that someone got into Harvard in the past with a 4 on verbal.

I was accepted with a 9V and 29. I've heard that it looks better when your scores are balanced out but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
I'll second that. Remeber that people with 35s get rejected all the time *sigh* and people with 29s get accepted all the time. GPA is more important than MCAT. You'll do fine.

There's been several threads on this and most people agree that a high MCAT (33+) and lower (3.3-3.5) GPA is better than a low MCAT (<30) and high GPA (3.7+).

GPA is more important than MCAT.

i'm not so sure about this. i think a 36 mcat can overcome a 2.9 gpa, but i don't think a 4.0 gpa could make up for a 24 mcat.

but, to the op, if your ec's are really good & your personal statement catches some attention, you definitely have a shot at a number of schools.

Originally posted by nibrocli
i'm not so sure about this. i think a 36 mcat can overcome a 2.9 gpa, but i don't think a 4.0 gpa could make up for a 24 mcat.

I'll let ya know if I get in =/... 2.9 & 34

Originally posted by nibrocli
i think a 36 mcat can overcome a 2.9 gpa, but i don't think a 4.0 gpa could make up for a 24 mcat.

Originally posted by Tas
I'll let ya know if I get in =/... 2.9 & 34
Tas,
please do let me know... good luck!

GPA is more important than MCAT. You'll do fine.

im gonna disagree as well.

Every adcom, pre-med advisor, and bit of pre-med urban myth has it that if your scores are widely off from each other, you are not a "well rounded" candidate. Of course, all kind of people get in all over the place with weirdnesses on their GPA and their MCAT. Hell, I got a C in my first semester of Orgo, and I got in, but an Ad Com told me that my 12 verbal was more impressive than a 12 in either of the others. I don't think they see those alot. I think it depends on what the rest of your app is like. If you have strong clinical or research or volunteer experience and can really speak to those, it'll draw people away from other inconsistencies in your app. If you're really only going on MCAT's and GPA, then I'd say retake it. It seems like you're super-golden on the sciences, so I'd say throw all of your concentration into studying for the verbal. And even if you come down to an 11 or a 10 in Physical and Biological and bring the verbal up to a 9 or a 10, I think you're in better shape. Either way, it'll suck to take that test again, I'm glad I don't. My heart is with you, brother!

Originally posted by GTea
I know that someone got into Harvard in the past with a 4 on verbal.

probably a recent immigrant to america (ESL) with a very high gpa and very high scores on the other parts of the mcat. and probably had a very touching story about why he/she came to america.

my friend got into UA with a 7 on PS and a 13 on V...GPA was high and ECs were good tho.

Same here! Oh and Tas... Love the sig...
'If a medical school doesn't admit me, I'll probably become an SDN troll...':horns:

:) Thanks! Ya know, we all have to have our future backup plans ;)

I have been amazed that I get interviews, but then they reject me based on grades. They really should look at my grades first... at least it'd save me a couple hundred on traveling and such.