MCAT Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monty55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year and had a pretty terrible cycle, which I attribute to my late app and GPA (3.38c and 3.19s). MCAT was 507.

I have done a lot of research on my next step and will be attending Cincinnati's SMP in the fall, with the plan to apply in 2017 after I complete the program.

Besides my gpa and mcat, the rest of my app is solid - tons of clinical exposure, volunteering, and leadership positions. (I have been out of school for 2 years now)

My question is whether I should retake my MCAT? My advisor thinks I should and aim to get a 510 or higher. I think I could probably do better than my 507 since I took it last time while working full time in a pretty demanding position and didn't devote as much time to studying as I would have liked. But, how essential is a MCAT retake in my case? My fear is retaking it and only doing marginally better, which I've learned is worse than leaving the mediocre score as it is.

Also I should note that I would ideally like to go to an allopathic school, but will be applying to both allopathic and osteopathic. Also feel like I should note that I am technically a URM, but I've been told since I'm Cuban, it's not exactly considered URM. Also I'm a first generation college student.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know the specifics of when Cincinnati's program gets done but I might give some consideration to waiting until the SMP is done to retaking the MCAT. Your bio knowledge in general will just be so much stronger even if tons of the material is superfluous for the MCAT. If say the program is done beginning of June or all your real studying is done end of May(ie the last month is just some basic busy work and you are done with your real classes like the ones you take with MS1's) perhaps say something like a July 20th MCAT in 2017 might work and give you ample study time. But check on that and the specific dates.

How each school views Cubans will vary. Generally many dont consider them URMs but a Hispanic who can speak Spanish will often be at some level of advantage in this process. It is probably worth reaching out to your state school to see how they view Cuban Hispanics in terms of URM Status. Every school has their own policies and these things can vary a good bit.

You are right really should only retake if you have a strong reason to believe youll do a good bit better(ie 513+ish). Yes a 513+ would help someone in your shoes, but my very rough guess reading your post is it doesnt sound like you have that strong reason to be very confident you can hit that score. You have roughly 2 free months now, perhaps it's worth it to start prepping and gauge your progress by middle of next month and if things are going well do a retake end of July/beginning of August right before the SMP.

A strong SMP showing and a 507 can certainly potentially be enough for an MD school. This is especially true if you take that Ohio residency you can get after completing the program next year.

Thanks for the input. I do think I can improve on the 507, but like you said I would need to do significantly better and that's what gets me nervous. I've been studying and I think I'll take your advice and do a practice test around next month... Sounds like I should only go ahead with the test (scheduled now for 8/4) if I am consistently scoring at 513 or above.

Cincinnati's program ends mid-June and it makes me nervous to wait to retake until then because a later MCAT last year was what really set me back on getting my applications in early (part of the reason I'm planning to take it this summer).

Also I am planning on keeping my Ohio residency and will be focusing on those schools (part of the reason I picked Cincinnatis SMP in the first place) so it is comforting to know that a 507 still gives me a good chance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I do think I can improve on the 507, but like you said I would need to do significantly better and that's what gets me nervous. I've been studying and I think I'll take your advice and do a practice test around next month... Sounds like I should only go ahead with the test (scheduled now for 8/4) if I am consistently scoring at 513 or above.

Cincinnati's program ends mid-June and it makes me nervous to wait to retake until then because a later MCAT last year was what really set me back on getting my applications in early (part of the reason I'm planning to take it this summer).

Also I am planning on keeping my Ohio residency and will be focusing on those schools (part of the reason I picked Cincinnatis SMP in the first place) so it is comforting to know that a 507 still gives me a good chance!

Several people decided to retake the Mcat after finishing the cincy SMP program. Even with a strong showing in the SMP, i think it will be an uphill battle getting into cincy and other oh schools with that Mcat. And like gor said, I gaurantee Mcat bio will seem like cakewalk after the SMP.

Several people decided to retake the Mcat after finishing the cincy SMP program. Even with a strong showing in the SMP, i think it will be an uphill battle getting into cincy and other oh schools with that Mcat. And like gor said, I gaurantee Mcat bio will seem like cakewalk after the SMP.

Just wanted to give an update in case someone finds this thread and is in a similar situation. I decided to wait until after the SMP to take my MCAT (July 22 - very close to @GrapesofRath suggestion). Obviously all my knowledge from the SMP helped and then I actually devoted myself to full time studying for a month. Got a 516 woo! And my concern about being too late with that MCAT date turned out not to be an issue. Sitting on 1 acceptance and 3 other IIs. There is hope out there if you feel confident in an MCAT retake!!!!

Reactions: 1 user