MCAT Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last summer.

I got 518/519/512 on my practice AAMCs. 513 on the real thing, really solid scores on the SBs.

My GPA is ~3.55 with 4.0 the final two years, and I want a solid MD acceptance (Emory, Rochester, etc. would be top picks). I'm very confident in the subjective components of my app.

Anybody want to weigh in on whether I should retake this thing? 513 felt like a let down after my first two scores.

Members don't see this ad.

A 513 is a great score that you should be proud of. You don't need to retake. Polish your PS and secondaries. Work on your interviewing skills.

Your stats are on the lower side for the two schools you mentioned, but a 513 is a good score for MD. If you really want to retake, you would have to score something like a 519+ for it to help you more than it would hurt. However, all of this is dependent on the other components of your application. In a vacuum, you're on the lower side, but if the other components are good, then you should be in great shape.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I would not retake the mcat in your case. Your score is just shy of the top 10th percentile and you have a decent shot at an MD admission. The AAMC publishes data regarding the outcomes of students who retake the mcat showing that the vast majority of retakes are within two points of the original score. If you increased to 515, it wouldn’t significantly improve your application as it would be close to your original score. However, scoring a 511 would make your 513 look like a fluke. It’s a big risk.

Based on your other post about school lists, your mcat is fine but your GPA is on the low end. A nominal improvement in mcat score will not significantly improve your overall application.

As the poster above said, polish personal statements and go to as many practice interviews with your career center as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd retake for any solid MD schools,mid to upper tier, especially if you are ORM. You're a shoe-in for DO though

Bad advice. He is a shoe-in for mid and low tier MD schools with his MCAT. He should spend time working on ECs, research, and volunteering rather than working towards a retake

Bad advice. He is a shoe-in for mid and low tier MD schools with his MCAT. He should spend time working on ECs, research, and volunteering rather than working towards a retake

I’m basing this off my own experiences this previous cycle. 513 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, decent EC’s, only received 3 MD interviews at state schools, mid to low tier.

If OP wants to go to Emory, how could we possibly recommend this with a 513 and lower GPA. Matriculate average is already a 511 for MD nationwide.

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 users
I’m basing this off my own experiences this previous cycle. 513 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, decent EC’s, only received 3 MD interviews at state schools, mid to low tier.

If OP wants to go to Emory, how could we possibly recommend this with a 513 and lower GPA. Matriculate average is already a 511 for MD nationwide.

You’re right, Emory is more than likely off the table. What I am saying is that OP has an MCAT good enough to get into medical school and it would be more beneficial to use the time improving ECs than to retake the MCAT. If he scores the same or lower it will inevitably hurt them. I think the risk is too great.

You’re right, Emory is more than likely off the table. What I am saying is that OP has an MCAT good enough to get into medical school and it would be more beneficial to use the time improving ECs than to retake the MCAT. If he scores the same or lower it will inevitably hurt them. I think the risk is too great.

True, the 518, 519 is no fluke though. OP maybe take the new AAMC #4 and if you score around that ballpark, retake.

A cycle with a 518 you’d have a great shot at those schools you’re vying for.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is just fine but your GPA is on the lower end (despite the upward trend). There are a lot of great programs, however, that fall within your reach (assuming a solid application). Don't chase a name, find schools you can get accepted to and keep an open mind when you interview. Don't retake the MCAT, if you want to boost your app, you should take a few classes and get that GPA up just a touch. -my unsolicited 2 cents-