MCAT Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kings2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Here's my story. Took MCAT on April 16--just got my results.

B: 11
PS: 13
VR: 13
Wr: T

My question is whether its worth taking to get my bio score up-I'm worried BS will keep me out of top tiers? Should I retake?

Members don't see this ad.

A combined score of 37 is a kick-ass score, competitive for every tier. Didn't you see the percentile of your score? I would advise against retaking. You are more likely to lower your score, than increase it. Also, even if you did end up with a marginally higher BS, the benefit to you would be minimal at best, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

My question is whether its worth taking to get my bio score up-I'm worried BS will keep me out of top tiers? Should I retake?

Is this a serious question..?
Im going to assume it is and say no. Do not retake with a 37T.
+pissed+

Don't stress over these scores; they are excellent. They will not keep you from going anywhere.

That being said, 'top-tier' is a bit of a myth. US News rankings are a way to sell more magazines. A medical school is a medical school, and your ability and the effort you put in will decide how well you do and what specialty you end up with.

Be very happy with your scores. People with your scores generally end up with an acceptance 95% of the time.

Hi,

No. and you are are fool to think so. a 37 is in the > 95 percentile. You're an idiot to even contemplate doing that again.

Hold on, I better grab a fire hose because you are about to get flamed.

Thank you for your advice. My concern is that I've only taken for biology classes (w/ social science major). With grades, B, A-, A, B+ (overall science GPA 3.7); Just trying to put best foot forward but am really disappointed in 11 (usually scoring >12) and don't want to suffer because of weak biology score for MCATs.

Anyone smart enough to get a 37 is smart enough to know that there is no need to retake. The OP is just bragging with an added twinge of self-deprecation in order to make himself feel like he's not really boasting.

Let me give the OP what he wants:

Congratulations on your very excellent MCAT score, it should be a great advantage to you during the application process. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice. My concern is that I've only taken for biology classes (w/ social science major). With grades, B, A-, A, B+ (overall science GPA 3.7); Just trying to put best foot forward but am really disappointed in 11 (usually scoring >12) and don't want to suffer because of weak biology score for MCATs.

Yeah, but you are thinking with your feelings right now, not logically. You are focusing on the negative aspect of what is ultimately a great score, by any reasonable measure. The reality is that you didn't get the BS score that you thought you would get. There is variability in the MCAT. You did well, don't worry over it. I don't think anybody would consider an 11 a "weak" score. Isn't the STD something like +/- 2 anyway?

Anyone smart enough to get a 37 is smart enough to know that there is no need to retake.

My experience has taught me that this isn't necessarily true, for better, or worse. However, I do agree with the rest of your post.

Members don't see this ad :)

hope you speak spanish.

There are great schools in the Caribbean.

Hi,

Yes, your :bullcrap: might keep you out of a lot of top tiers, but it's got nothing to do with your MCAT score.

Am i the only one that thinks this is a troll? Come on he only has 9 posts.

Hi,

Seriously?? :barf:

AAMC has the data online; the vast majority of those who retakes with a score that high do worse the second time.

AAMC has the data online; the vast majority of those who retakes with a score that high do worse the second time.

But that said, I don't see any reason why an able young lad as yourself couldn't increase! I say do it!

Anyone smart enough to get a 37 is smart enough to know that there is no need to retake.

if you read teh "competitive schools" thread you would know that a high mcat score has nothing to do with smarts, but mainly with having a gigantic pants weasel.

Hi,

Give me a break.......

This is not a troll, just a guy who wants to graduate from HMS and feels he needs a 4.0/44 with a double major in Biochemistry & Physics to get in.

Maybe he's not too far off, though...

Anyone smart enough to get a 37 is smart enough to know that there is no need to retake. The OP is just bragging with an added twinge of self-deprecation in order to make himself feel like he's not really boasting.

Let me give the OP what he wants:

Congratulations on your very excellent MCAT score, it should be a great advantage to you during the application process. Good luck!

I agree or he really just gets off on self-deprecation and he's not bragging at all in which case I'll give him what he wants:

[sarcasm] Hmm...37T. I really think you should retake the test because no allopathic medical school in their right mind would accept anyone with a score in even the top 5% of test-takers. A 37 on the MCAT would fall somewhere in the bottom 20% of all test-takers. This is medical school, not Rev Jerry Falwell's school of law. You need at least, AT LEAST, a 44 to even be considered. Medical schools only want biological geniuses who have 4.0 GPAs and 44s or 45s on the MCAT. Anything less than that would be wasting their time. Take that test again and keep taking it until you get it right. [/sarcasm]

[honest truth]You did very well. Just look at your percentiles. That's like Top 4% or something right? Only smart and well-prepared people even try to take the MCAT and you proved yourself as being in the top 4% of those people. Imagine that. Also, the T score in your writing sample means you can write a kick-ass personal statement. Work on selling yourself as a strong applicant and you'll get in. Where? Lots of places. [/honest truth]

:beat::beat::beat::beat::beat: