MCAT Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med430

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, with an MCAT retake that is lower than the initial one but mainly because one section is rediculously lower - to the point that it's obvious something must've gone wrong, how would one relay that to the schools without sounding defensive? I was extremely nauseous halfway through the exam and ended up screwing up on the verbal which was my highest score the first time around but did much better on Phys. which was my worst the first time - went from 8 -> 10 but verbal was much worse second time around and BIO section stayed about the same. Anyway, if I took the retake in Sept. is it too late to let schools know that I got a bit sick in the middle of the exam or should I just let it be and hope that they realize something was up?

#2 - if I do let them know, what's the best way - via email or a note mailed? Seems like the emails get lost in this process..

Members don't see this ad.

This late there is probably not a lot left to do until you get into the interview at least. You could try to write a formal letter to the school and maybe they'll put it in your file, emails won't be that effective. Do you at least have a descent score on the first one? For the most part I don't think schools really care when your highest score came, just what the higher score actually is. Adcoms recognize things happen, sometimes people have bad days. Try not to stress to much

Some schools accept the highest score on each section, so maybe that will help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were sick, I'd think that schools would say you should have voided the exam.

true...was going to void it right after the Verbal part but then when Bio went somewhat better I figured it couldn't have been that bad and the curve would help out a bit given it was a pretty hard verbal section...anywho...can't look back now...what's done is done...thank you for your thoughts! Happy Turkey Day!

That's basically what I was thinking, ocwaveoc. You were sick in verbal, but then you were fine for bio? I'd think you were trying to excuse legitimately poor performance. It's a tough break, but there's nothing much you can do except write the letter and see where it goes.

I see what you're saying..but I think my first verbal score would indicate that I am able to read and apply the material...I get your point that the adcoms would be thinking the same way..,basically, i'm not going to mention it unless it comes up in an interview or will just send the info with an update on my grades this semester and such. Thanks again!

So, with an MCAT retake that is lower than the initial one but mainly because one section is rediculously lower...

You did badly on the verbal? That's rediculous!