mcat retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dshnay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question.

I took an mcat twice during may, the second time without knowing the score of the first. I'm assuming that I messed up on the second time and I'm content with the score of the first. My question comes down to how much will the score of the second mcat hurt me? Will the schools look at hte first mcat and ignore the second?

Thanks.

D

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting situation.. usuallly it's the other way around..they will look at the second score and try to ignore the first. Even in this case I doubt they would ignore the first score. As I've heard from my friends who were interviewed, med schools look at all of your scores, regardless. Now the question is, how much emphasis does each school put on the first, second, or third score? It all really depends on the school in question..all schools are different. For your case: I would guess they'll look at your first score if it's higher than your second..but the fact that your second mcat is lower than your first will definitely raise an eyebrow. I hope it goes well for you though, who knows maybe you did do better the second time around. good luck!

Unfortunately since you took it after it will be looked upon as decreasing performance instead of an improvement. If you are going to retake the MCAT you have to ensure that you will do better. Just pray that you're second score will be as good or better than your first

Thank you for replying back to me. It looks like I will have to retake the mcat for the fifth time. Oh god...

btw in case you were curious here's my scores
P V B
10 4 11
12 4 12
14 7 10
Predicted 7 4 13

Thank you for replying back to me. It looks like I will have to retake the mcat for the fifth time. Oh god...

btw in case you were curious here's my scores
P V B
10 4 11
12 4 12
14 7 10
Predicted 7 4 13

From what I was told by an admissions director regarding how schools look at this:

Some look at your most recent MCAT score
Some look at your highest score per section and create a "synthetic" aggregate MCAT score (2 schools I spoke with including GW, don't recall which the second school was)
Some average your MCAT scores (Loyola is one)

hate to burst any bubbles, the schools I spoke with had a lower cutoff of 7-10 on any section score, i.e. a single score below 8 for a number of schools would preclude an interview. If you're applying this year, I'd definitely call the schools to see how each one treats your score. BTW, Colorado said they look most heavily at VR among the different sections, most schools seemed to favor the Bio/Ochem section