1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

MCAT Review or Teaching?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SpineDoc, Sep 10, 1999.

1. SpineDoc

SpineDoc Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm a chiropractic student and I'm planning on studying for the MCAT after I graduate in June 2000. It's been about 5-6 years since I've taken any of the pre-med sciences and I'm a bit concerned about being able to recall the material. Are reviews like Princeton and Kaplan reviews of the material or do they go into more depth?

Any suggestions on how I can re-learn this material? Maybe a private tutor, studying on my own, or a review course. Frankly, I have forgoten most of the chem and physics. Biology I can handle. Any ideas?

Darrell S. Bruga

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I went to both Kalpan & PR, I like the Princeton review better because they focus on the basic stuff and gives me a stronger background.

If you are having a hard to figure out the material, don't waste time, head for the review classes. Although they are expensive, it is worth the $$ if you did well in the deHUMANizing MCAT exam.

Good luck

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would also like to suggest working a lot of practice problems. After you work the problems, or test, grade them, find out what ones you missed and why. If you don't can't figure out why you missed it find someone to help you figure out why. I don't know where you are at but if there is a local college or university there I would go up and get to know some of the professors and see if they would be willing to help you and then stop by for help when you find a specific area that you are struggling with

5. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I took neither of the courses. I self-studied on weekends and TOOK PRACTICE EXAMS! Wake up, set the clock, take it. Just like the real thing. Do it for 4~5 weeks till you feel comfy. I did fine (9, 13, 11, O). In all fairness I did zero prep for the VR but that's because I still wouldn't know how to study for it. My advice: If you are a lecture learner, do a course. If you are a book learner, by a book (Flowers and Silvers, TPR, Betz, or even the Berkley Review). Whatever you do find a study partner, preferrably someone with other strengths (in your case perhaps Chem?). Most importantly I wish you the best, have faith.