MCAT score finally improved!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dng_06

apple01
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After taking the MCAT a third time (this past August), my score has finally gone up!!
from a 25 (april 2005) to a 24 (august 2005) to a 33 (august 2006)

I am SOOO happy...the only thing I'm concerned about is if taking three MCAT is frowned upon. Plus, my VR for August was not as high as the other sections (I got an 8). My GPA is pretty good...but, I just hope I don't get another round of disappointment...

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! How did you study....this time?

After taking the MCAT a third time (this past August), my score has finally gone up!!

I am SOOO happy...the only thing I'm concerned about is if taking three MCAT is frowned upon. Plus, my VR for August was not as high as the other sections (I got an 8). My GPA is pretty good...but, I just hope I don't get another round of disappointment...

hahah we have oddly similar mcats on the same dates! 23 (april '05), 23 again (august '05), and finally a 30 (august '06) :) good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)

wow congrats to you. Thats awesome:)

hello hello! i posted for the first time this application season last night after i got my mcat scores. i forgot how supportive sdn can be in times of anxiety AND happiness :)

congrats on the improvement!!!

i, too, finally saw improvement:
24N (april 2004)
24P (aug 2004)
27R (aug 2005) after kaplan...eek
32Q (aug 2006) after studying on my own and using Examkrackers

i applied in 2004 and 2005. had a few interviews (UWash, Hawaii, NYMC). these schools said i didn't need to retake again...but in my mind, i felt the low scores were a red flag. they also said that if i retook the exam for a FOURTH time that it would be fine..."we see that more often than people think"....also, the UCs recommended i retake and reapply....

so that's where i am...primary in...some secondaries in...waiting waiting AGAIN!

good luck everyone!!!! hope third time is a charm :D :luck: :luck: :luck:

Congrats on the great scores. I went through three rounds too (24,28,32- pretty symmetrical). I hope schools don't frown too much on three times either. So far so good, though. I've heard from 6 schools and have six interviews!!! Keeping my fingers crossed this time around!! Good Luck!

Congrats!! How did you study....this time?

This time around, I tried to do some major time-management and anxiety-management. Also, I focused a lot on physical sciences because I saw that as the area where I could improve my score the most (I was a bio major so I felt that area would stay roughly the same). I did the Kaplan course (I took TPR the first MCAT round and didn't think it did well for me). I also just concentrated on major themes, esp the ones I felt really uncomfy with. Good luck to everyone who is applying this year! Reapplicants unite!!! :)

hahah we have oddly similar mcats on the same dates! 23 (april '05), 23 again (august '05), and finally a 30 (august '06) :) good luck to you!

Good luck to you too! Now for the loooong *hopefully not too long* waiting for interviews!

i guess my scores will be moving up to 20N (april 2005), 23P (august2006)...
i will take the april 2007, any advice on how to study this time after the first two tests.

i will take the april 2007, any advice on how to study this time after the first two tests.

How did you study the first two times? My mistake was using the same material the first two times. If it didn't help me out the first time, how would've helped me the second time around? That's why I just got some more books, read them at least 2-3 times, and practiced from the very start! I used Kaplan the third time and it worked for me....more conditioning me to apply versus memorize. Good luck! :luck:

yes, practice practice practice...used AAMC practice exams and some old kaplan tests. read all EXAMKRACKERS books and did all practice problems/exams...used the 1001 EK science problems...plus 101 EK verbal...found it sooo helpful to just do problem after problem...also, uploaded all the EK audio osmosis files onto my ipod and played them over and over at the gym. :) best of luck!!!!!!!!

I took the MCAT 3x 20O(April 2005) 26Q(August 2005) and 29Q(August 2006) with a GPA of 3.74, BCPM 3.70. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting into med school? I applied in 2006 and got 0 interviews and rejected everywhere with the MCAT score of 26. Is a 3 point increase substantial enough?

I took the MCAT 3x 20O(April 2005) 26Q(August 2005) and 29Q(August 2006) with a GPA of 3.74, BCPM 3.70. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting into med school? I applied in 2006 and got 0 interviews and rejected everywhere with the MCAT score of 26. Is a 3 point increase substantial enough?

hey lc18 and others:
my experience...
---applied with 24P: 20 schools, no safeties, 2 interviews (UWash-instate, UHawaii-OOS). no acceptance
---applied with 27R: 28 schools, 3 interviews (UWash-OOS, UHawaii-OOS, NYMC) all mentioned the 3-point increase as "substantial", 8 pre-hold interviews (UCIrvine-instate, UCSF-instate, GWU, Drexel, Albany, RosFrank, Loyola, Drew-UCLA)...the UCs said MCAT was too low; i applied post-AMCAS verified (after october 15) to the other schools. should have applied earlier to the safeties
---this year, i am applying to 48 schools with a 32Q (will be dropping some "super high top tier" and some "lower safety" secondaries for financial reasons).

go ahead and apply ASAP...or next year...just make sure you apply early to the "in MCAT range schools" plus a couple reaches (the reach schools do give sub-30 applicants interviews!!!) :)

good luck!!!

hey lc18 and others:
my experience...
---applied with 24P: 20 schools, no safeties, 2 interviews (UWash-instate, UHawaii-OOS). no acceptance
---applied with 27R: 28 schools, 3 interviews (UWash-OOS, UHawaii-OOS, NYMC) all mentioned the 3-point increase as "substantial", 8 pre-hold interviews (UCIrvine-instate, UCSF-instate, GWU, Drexel, Albany, RosFrank, Loyola, Drew-UCLA)...the UCs said MCAT was too low; i applied post-AMCAS verified (after october 15) to the other schools. should have applied earlier to the safeties
---this year, i am applying to 48 schools with a 32Q (will be dropping some "super high top tier" and some "lower safety" secondaries for financial reasons).

go ahead and apply ASAP...or next year...just make sure you apply early to the "in MCAT range schools" plus a couple reaches (the reach schools do give sub-30 applicants interviews!!!) :)

good luck!!!

Are you a minority? I am just wondering if I will get an interview with the uc's with a 25R.

hello hello! i posted for the first time this application season last night after i got my mcat scores. i forgot how supportive sdn can be in times of anxiety AND happiness :)

congrats on the improvement!!!

i, too, finally saw improvement:
24N (april 2004)
24P (aug 2004)
27R (aug 2005) after kaplan...eek
32Q (aug 2006) after studying on my own and using Examkrackers

i applied in 2004 and 2005. had a few interviews (UWash, Hawaii, NYMC). these schools said i didn't need to retake again...but in my mind, i felt the low scores were a red flag. they also said that if i retook the exam for a FOURTH time that it would be fine..."we see that more often than people think"....also, the UCs recommended i retake and reapply....

so that's where i am...primary in...some secondaries in...waiting waiting AGAIN!

good luck everyone!!!! hope third time is a charm :D :luck: :luck: :luck:

that's great.....im about to take it for the third time in 7 days!!!! 1 week!!!
im scared.....i need to be more confident....i know the material!!!

lol, buried thread