MCAT score lower than expected - next steps ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otibear1010

Reaction score
Got my score back today from my 6/20 MCAT and I made a 497. I left the test thinking it sucked, but did NOT expect to make that low of a score! My FLs were 505-508 consistently prior to taking the exam. I am already scheduled to re-take August 29th, but I have applied this cycle. I am non-trad and not wanting to re-apply next year. My GPA and app is very strong and was planning to supplement that with a good MCAT but now I am not sure where to go next!

Do I go ahead and update my apps to send my 497 score and show that I am retaking August? Or do I wait until my score releases from my August test and then submit them both? Is August too late for this cycle? That would mean my new score would be submitted mid september so I could ideally interview oct/nov? I don't want schools to dismiss my app without knowing I am retaking and will get a higher score second time around! Any advice appreciated greatly!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you submitted already? Your schools automatically get your score. If you haven't submitted, I'd hold off until you get a better MCAT score since you might be screened out. But make sure you only take the test when you're really ready, even if that does mean having to take a year off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions:
1. What are you going to do to address the deficits you encountered in such a short time frame? Was it test day anxiety. Biggest mistake I see my students make is retaking an mcat too soon after a low score.

2. Has your primary application been verified?

3. If your primary application was verified, did you add all the schools you were planning on applying to or did you only apply to one school?

Questions:
1. What are you going to do to address the deficits you encountered in such a short time frame? Was it test day anxiety. Biggest mistake I see my students make is retaking an mcat too soon after a low score.

2. Has your primary application been verified?

3. If your primary application was verified, did you add all the schools you were planning on applying to or did you only apply to one school?
Hi. I was scoring 508-512 on my AAMC practice tests so I believe that may have been it. I do not want to make excuses so I am not going to have a definitive answer
2. Yes I sent everything two days after apps open. 22 DO schools and 31 MD schools
3. I erroneously applied to schools based off my GPA and practice scores. I was under the impression it would look better

Hi. I was scoring 508-512 on my AAMC practice tests so I believe that may have been it. I do not want to make excuses so I am not going to have a definitive answer
2. Yes I sent everything two days after apps open. 22 DO schools and 31 MD schools
3. I erroneously applied to schools based off my GPA and practice scores. I was under the impression it would look better

And in your primary application you didn’t put anything about a future test date / score?

I think you’re definitely going to need to retake the MCAT for MD and DO. The bad news is that schools aren’t expecting for your scores to be updated. I’m not sure about how new scores are transmitted to schools if a future MCAT date wasn’t indicated. As is, you are in danger of being auto screened out due to a sub 500 MCAT. The other bad news is that regardless of what you do going forward with this cycle, any subsequent application to those schools will be considered a reapplication, regardless of if you submit a secondary application or not. This isn’t a huge deal but it’s something to be aware of.

Assuming you go ahead with a retake, I would contact the AAMC to find out when your new scores would be made available to your schools. I would not submit any secondary applications until your new score has been noted, since your file may appear as complete if LORs are received. You may need to check in with schools on your list but I’m not sure. @gonnif has some great threads about AMCAS and has answered a lot of questions about the process.

*for future readers: if you submit AMCAS before receiving your score make sure you select only one throwaway school until you have your MCAT score*

Reactions: 1 user