MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask two objective questions for anyone that was accepted into a DO program (or multiple) with an MCAT score of 497/23 or lower:

1. What/which school(s) were you accepted to?
2. In your interview, did they question your low score (assuming they did)? And if so, what did you say?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake for next cycle and score 500+

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to ask two objective questions for anyone that was accepted into a DO program (or multiple) with an MCAT score of 497/23 or lower:

1. What/which school(s) were you accepted to?
2. In your interview, did they question your low score (assuming they did)? And if so, what did you say?

Thanks!

Don't bank on getting into school with a 23. Seriously, just retake the MCAT and hope you score above a 505.

The only schools so far that have been taking applicants in the low 20's are BCOM and LUCOM. LUCOM has a bad reputation among SDNers. BCOM is an absolutely new school, but I will bet you that it will raise the average next cycle. I also know that those who were accepted with a low MCAT score probably did a lot of other amazing EC's to make up for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bank on getting into school with a 23. Seriously, just retake the MCAT and hope you score above a 505.

The only schools so far that have been taking applicants in the low 20's are BCOM and LUCOM. LUCOM has a bad reputation among SDNers. BCOM is an absolutely new school, but I will bet you that it will raise the average next cycle. I also know that those who were accepted with a low MCAT score probably did a lot of other amazing EC's to make up for it.

And they probably applied very early

Reactions: 1 users

505 not needed but yes shoot as high as possible. I guess it depends what GPA/EC/LoR situation is of OP but stats speaking a 3.2 / 500+ could be fine.

505 not needed but yes shoot as high as possible. I guess it depends what GPA/EC/LoR situation is of OP but stats speaking a 3.2 / 500+ could be fine.

Which would be fine, but we are talking about a retake. I wouldn't want to take chances. From a 23 to a 25 is an improvement, yes, but not a big one, and you're still below average for most DO schools.

To convince adcoms that you can reinvent after a 23, I would aim for at least a 28. After a year of studying, the OP should be able to get that score.

Which would be fine, but we are talking about a retake. I wouldn't want to take chances. From a 23 to a 25 is an improvement, yes, but not a big one, and you're still below average for most DO schools.

To convince adcoms that you can reinvent after a 23, I would aim for at least a 28. After a year of studying, the OP should be able to get that score.
I concur

Gina Moses from AACOM came to my UG and we spoke about the 2015 stats and CIB. Her impression is that a 507 is considered marginally competitive. Keep in mind that this convo occurred before talks of 2015 mcat allegedly trending high so take it with a grain of salt.

Consult the underdawgs thread to see your relative standing among other low scoring applicants as well.

Gina Moses from AACOM came to my UG and we spoke about the 2015 stats and CIB. Her impression is that a 507 is considered marginally competitive. Keep in mind that this convo occurred before talks of 2015 mcat allegedly trending high so take it with a grain of salt.

Consult the underdawgs thread to see your relative standing among other low scoring applicants as well.
A 507 translates to a score to just below a 30. Only a handful of DO schools have ever averaged an overall MCAT score around a 30.

To say that a 507/29.5 would simply be "marginally competitive" makes no sense.

Reactions: 1 user
A 507 translates to a score to just below a 30. Only a handful of DO schools have ever averaged an overall MCAT score around a 30.

Well put - this guy is spreading that "507 is marginally comp" in multiple SDN posts. Hop off son.

I apologize in advance if I've stepped on toes, I'm simply transcribing what I've been shown by AACOM at an undergraduate DO fair. Another thing I'd like to point out is since there is a concern of 2015 MCAT results trending high, there is a possibility that the translation from 2014 to 2015 be slightly readjusted. Lastly, marginally competitive was a poor choice of words on my part.

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize in advance if I've stepped on toes, I'm simply transcribing what I've been shown by AACOM at an undergraduate DO fair. Another thing I'd like to point out is since there is a concern of 2015 MCAT results trending high, there is a possibility that the translation from 2014 to 2015 be slightly readjusted. Lastly, marginally competitive was a poor choice of words on my part.
No worries my friend