MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bolnoi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How high would my mcat score have to be if i wanted to get into 'any' medschool in northeast(and my residency is ny)? In addition to my mcat, i can bring a sub-par gpa and an all-around failure to "play the game". I.e. i suspect i'll get only 1 or 2 good recommendations, and my essays will not be professionally edited, and my clinical experience will suck, and so on. So might a score of 35 get me placed somewhere, or something like 40 would be required? The only thing, i dont think i interview badly(i dont think people find me to be unpleasant or anything), so it's more about what it takes to get several interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you work on shoring up the rest of your app instead of relying on getting a sky-high MCAT? Even if you manage to do it, you still won't have any guarantee of getting in anywhere. I don't think your game plan is very prudent.

Step 1: Identify Target
Step 2: Look at MCAT and GPA average.
Step 3: Score accordingly to compensate if your app is lacking in GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to "play the game" if you want to prove you're committed and knowledgable about the profession. An MCAT score won't convince anyone of that. Plus, you need material to discuss in your interviews.

QofQuimica said:
Why don't you work on shoring up the rest of your app instead of relying on getting a sky-high MCAT? Even if you manage to do it, you still won't have any guarantee of getting in anywhere. I don't think your game plan is very prudent.

Of course i'll work on it. Notice I asked a bunch of questions. But I think I can succeed much more on the mcat(and i am currently working on improving my gpa, it was 3.6 throughout 2 semesters of sophomore year), than in those "gloss your resume" activities. So i need to know what mcat one would need with a cgpa of 3.4 and nothing else going for him??

Learn to crawl before you learn to walk- If you're worrying about the MCAT when you haven't done well with GPA and LORs, not to mention ECs, your priorities are out of whack.

Also, there is no MCAT score that will guarantee admission to every northeast medical school. This is NOT a mechanical process.

The above advice is good. However, I think you should approach the MCAT a little differently than you are. As a premed, its natural to want to know exactly what you need. The reality is, you have to do your best, and score the highest that you can. What if someone said you need a 34, are you not going to study as hard as you would if you were shooting for a 39? Get everything that you have control over together. Do well in your classes. When MCAT comes around, work your butt off, don't worry about it until you get there. Good luck.

sscooterguy

Agreed, there is no mcat score that is gonna guarantee you anything. With a 3.4 cumulative, if you score 29-30 and you apply to schools wisely, you will get in somewhere most likely. With a 32+ your chances are sky high of getting into lots of great schools.

Jaider said:
You have to "play the game" if you want to prove you're committed and knowledgable about the profession. An MCAT score won't convince anyone of that. Plus, you need material to discuss in your interviews.

i can talk about research during interviews (i plan to spend the whole summer working in a lab and the following senior year i'm working in the same lab and writing a senior thesis). as for clinical activities, i can talk about some books i read and/or some lifeguarding and other minor experiences.

but i'm afraid i'll have trouble even getting interviews, because i won't be having any publications and in terms of volunteering hours my resume will be pretty pathetic. so i feel that i really need to rely on mcat.

bolnoi said:
Of course i'll work on it. Notice I asked a bunch of questions. But I think I can succeed much more on the mcat(and i am currently working on improving my gpa, it was 3.6 throughout 2 semesters of sophomore year), than in those "gloss your resume" activities. So i need to know what mcat one would need with a cgpa of 3.4 and nothing else going for him??
But that's my point: there is NO score you can get, regardless of your GPA, that will guarantee that you get accepted to ANY medical school. You NEED to work on your other application aspects, because just a high MCAT score isn't sufficient to get you into med school. Seriously.

DarkFark said:
Learn to crawl before you learn to walk- If you're worrying about the MCAT when you haven't done well with GPA and LORs, not to mention ECs, you're priorities are out of whack.

Also, there is no MCAT score that will guarantee admission to every northeast medical school. This is NOT a mechanical process.

you can't even spell "your", so your gpa must be pretty worthless compared to mine.

QofQuimica said:
But that's my point: there is NO score you can get, regardless of your GPA, that will guarantee that you get accepted to ANY medical school. You NEED to work on your other application aspects, because just a high MCAT score isn't sufficient to get you into med school. Seriously.

I think by any medical school, he just means "a medical school", but I may be mistaken. The wording is confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd listen to Q. I'll tell you what, bolnoi: We'll see if I get in anywhere this cycle with a good MCAT, mediocre GPA from top tier schools, decent LORs, lots of lab experience with a publication in a decent journal, and marginal clinical ECs. If I don't, you'll know you should work on shoring up those clinical ECs, GPA, and LORs.
And so will I.
What's your objection to jumping through those hoops and just playing the game? You might learn something from them and - Gasp! - even enjoy them. I know I did.

bolnoi said:
you can't even spell "your", so your gpa must be pretty worthless compared to mine.

wow. such hostility. trust me, you don't want to open this can of worms. I'm not going to be baited by that. Also, I believe I used the right version of that word.

bolnoi said:

laugh.gif

sscooterguy said:
The above advice is good. However, I think you should approach the MCAT a little differently than you are. As a premed, its natural to want to know exactly what you need. The reality is, you have to do your best, and score the highest that you can. What if someone said you need a 34, are you not going to study as hard as you would if you were shooting for a 39? Get everything that you have control over together. Do well in your classes. When MCAT comes around, work your butt off, don't worry about it until you get there. Good luck.

sscooterguy

thanks. but i have to be realistic. if i really need a 34, i'll still aim for a 45, but if someone says i need a 42, then i know i am screwed no matter what i aim for...

also i'll apply to any schools in the northeast, but i havent yet decided if i should only apply to those that have the lowest average stats, or i might try just for fun schools like nyu where my chances would be slim even with a 42. but what if i do get a 42(or at least a 39), then perhaps i might have some chances. on the other hand it's possible that with a 39 i might only have chances at schools like nymc, and i should concentrate all my effort on that mcat and those schools like nymc. i.e. my advisor asked me to tell what medschools i plan to apply to, because she says that i sound completely messed up(i cant even decide on my course schedule for the next semester)

My advice: (taken from a fellow NY resident whose desperate to get into NY med schools and already have gotten into 1)

Do the best that you can. There are a fair number of NY state schools which favor NY residents. So if you can pull a 30+ on your MCAT, turn in your apps super early & get a good essay/LORS, you probably have a good shot at somewhere.

But as was said earlier, how can you study for a 31 as opposed to a 39? I studied my hardest and got as high as I could. That should be your philosophy.

DarkFark said:
wow. such hostility. trust me, you don't want to open this can of worms. I'm not going to be baited by that. Also, I believe I used the right version of that word.

i have no further comments for you.

minnie2240 said:
My advice: (taken from a fellow NY resident whose desperate to get into NY med schools and already have gotten into 1)

Do the best that you can. There are a fair number of NY state schools which favor NY residents. So if you can pull a 30+ on your MCAT, turn in your apps super early & get a good essay/LORS, you probably have a good shot at somewhere.

But as was said earlier, how can you study for a 31 as opposed to a 39? I studied my hardest and got as high as I could. That should be your philosophy.

thanks, actually i doubt i can turn in my apps early. i plan to take mcat in august... so what schools really favor ny residents? and what ny schools have some of the lowest mcat/gpa stats?

bolnoi said:
i have no further comments for you.

Well that's a relief. Good luck in the application process!!

DarkFark said:
I think by any medical school, he just means "a medical school", but I may be mistaken. The wording is confusing.
you are right in this instance, thats exactly what i mean!

DarkFark said:
Well that's a relief. Good luck in the application process!!
thanks, you too

crys20 said:
Agreed, there is no mcat score that is gonna guarantee you anything. With a 3.4 cumulative, if you score 29-30 and you apply to schools wisely, you will get in somewhere most likely. With a 32+ your chances are sky high of getting into lots of great schools.
stop lying. i'm pretty sure if i get 30 and 3.4 i'll get rejected everywhere. and with a 32, most likely also. but whether a 35 would suffice for getting in somewhere?

How bad is it that the OP's lack of willingness to do extracurr. activities makes me feel better about my application?

Anyway, to be helpful, the state schools undoubtedly favor state residents, but you might also want to look into schools that have more of a focus on research instead of clinical medicine, since that's where your experience is/where you want to be? You'll likely look better on secondaries that ask about your research experience rather than you volunteer experience.

bolnoi said:
thanks, actually i doubt i can turn in my apps early. i plan to take mcat in august... so what schools really favor ny residents? and what ny schools have some of the lowest mcat/gpa stats?

I don't know if you only are considering manhattan. But all the SUNY schools- Downstate, Stonybrook, Buffalo & Upstate reserve most of their spots for NY residents. They arent the best schools but good enough. Your gpa is definately on par for these schools . They mostly have avg accepted gpa's of 3.6 & 30 MCAt.....

NYMC also has the lowest mcat/gpa stats and its a pretty big school. So you probably have a good shot there.

Honestly though, I don't have a super high mcat or great experiences, and I've already interviewed at 4 Ny schools. So be optomistic

desiredusername said:
I'd listen to Q. I'll tell you what, bolnoi: We'll see if I get in anywhere this cycle with a good MCAT, mediocre GPA from top tier schools, decent LORs, lots of lab experience with a publication in a decent journal, and marginal clinical ECs. If I don't, you'll know you should work on shoring up those clinical ECs, GPA, and LORs.
And so will I.
What's your objection to jumping through those hoops and just playing the game? You might learn something from them and - Gasp! - even enjoy them. I know I did.

hm, "publication in a decent journal" is a hook... i just dont have any publications or much clinical experience, and face it, no matter how i try, it's unlikely that i'll have much when my applications are submitted. but it's possible to really work on the mcat till august...

Camillekc said:
How bad is it that the OP's lack of willingness to do extracurr. activities makes me feel better about my application?
It's not bad at all, Camillekc. I was thinking the same thing. But then I realized he'll get rejected everywhere unless he's got some mad bank (Yale could use an international airport). So, I'm back to feeling nervous as hell about my app.

bolnoi said:

No mcat is gonna get you much of anywhere if you have "nothing else going for you" ... why don't you have ECs? I can't really understand how you would know medicine is what you want to do if you haven't immersed yourself in it. Plus, if you DO know that it's what you want to do, then why aren't you out getting your feet wet? It's fun. I'm sure if this is what you want to pursue, you can succeed... but the mcat isn't the only angle from which you'll need to do so.

desiredusername said:
It's not bad at all, Camillekc. I was thinking the same thing. But then I realized he'll get rejected everywhere unless he's got some mad bank (Yale could use an international airport). So, I'm back to feeling nervous as hell about my app.

:laugh: That's a thought. Do you think between now and... let's say january, I can convince someone to donate a building to a medical school in my name? It doesn't have to be an airport- I think a medical library would be pretty effective.

minnie2240 said:
I don't know if you only are considering manhattan. But all the SUNY schools- Downstate, Stonybrook, Buffalo & Upstate reserve most of their spots for NY residents. They arent the best schools but good enough. Your gpa is definately on par for these schools . They mostly have avg accepted gpa's of 3.6 & 30 MCAt.....

NYMC also has the lowest mcat/gpa stats and its a pretty big school. So you probably have a good shot there.

Honestly though, I don't have a super high mcat or great experiences, and I've already interviewed at 4 Ny schools. So be optomistic

thanks! but i think a difference between 3.4 and 3.6 is huge... even if my gpa will be closer to 3.5... also there are lot of students with hooks, like urm, publications, good clinical experience, poignant essay, while my clinical experience is not even average! i will consider all of northeast(but i thought ny schools might give me a bigger shot, since im a resident). Question-even though schools like stony brook reserve most of their spots for ny residents, is their avg really 3.6/30, or do most of these state schools actually have higher stats(and only suny downstate or something has 3.6/30)?

does NYMC also favor ny residents(i know it is private)? I just want to get in anywhere, but i know i'll miss my college(a great college), so i know this appication process will be terribly difficult for me:(

Risa said:
No mcat is gonna get you much of anywhere if you have "nothing else going for you" ... why don't you have ECs? I can't really understand how you would know medicine is what you want to do if you haven't immersed yourself in it. Plus, if you DO know that it's what you want to do, then why aren't you out getting your feet wet? It's fun. I'm sure if this is what you want to pursue, you can succeed... but the mcat isn't the only angle from which you'll need to do so.

i'm kinda lazy to have ec's. but i do prioritize. for example i do like subjects like biochemistry. i play chess and ski. and i am sure it is much better to spend your time reading a biochem textbook or a nature magazine than cleaning toilets in a hospital.

bolnoi said:
i'm kinda lazy to have ec's. but i do prioritize. for example i do like subjects like biochemistry. i play chess and ski. and i am sure it is much better to spend your time reading a biochem textbook or a nature magazine than cleaning toilets in a hospital.
but i know this attitude will get me rejected at most places(may be not if my gpa had been a 4.0, but alas). i had the same thing in high school, good sat's, bad gpa, bad essays,lors,etc. i got rejected at all the elite schools, but got into a respectable school anyway... so i figure if i get into ANY medschool, it will be respectable enough for me.

bolnoi said:
thanks! but i think a difference between 3.4 and 3.6 is huge... even if my gpa will be closer to 3.5... also there are lot of students with hooks, like urm, publications, good clinical experience, poignant essay, while my clinical experience is not even average! i will consider all of northeast(but i thought ny schools might give me a bigger shot, since im a resident). Question-even though schools like stony brook reserve most of their spots for ny residents, is their avg really 3.6/30, or do most of these state schools actually have higher stats(and only suny downstate or something has 3.6/30)?

does NYMC also favor ny residents(i know it is private)? I just want to get in anywhere, but i know i'll miss my college(a great college), so i know this appication process will be terribly difficult for me:(

NYMC doesn't favor NY residents but it takes a lot of people & has lower stats. I wish I could give you more info. Although I have a 3.9, I only have a 31 and really no hook (no publications, not urm, only 1 summer of volunteer work) I promise. So it all depends on how they weigh things. If you can get a good mcat like 33-35 or even higher, that may override your gpa. I don't know though.

Id recommend applying to Drexel in PA if you are not set on NY. Its private but has lower stats and accepts almost 700 ppl, they have one of the largest classes.

minnie2240 said:
NYMC doesn't favor NY residents but it takes a lot of people & has lower stats. I wish I could give you more info. Although I have a 3.9, I only have a 31 and really no hook (no publications, not urm, only 1 summer of volunteer work) I promise. So it all depends on how they weigh things. If you can get a good mcat like 33-35 or even higher, that may override your gpa. I don't know though.

Id recommend applying to Drexel in PA if you are not set on NY. Its private but has lower stats and accepts almost 700 ppl, they have one of the largest classes.
thanks for the advice!

Shoot for mid to high thirties on the MCAT/study your ass off; do everything you can to improve your GPA at this point; and start volunteering doing something that you find interesting. (If it is medically related, great; if not, it still shows that you are a "well-rounded individual" which admissions people seem to like.) To get a good LOR, take a small class in any discipline in which you have a genuine interest (English, humanities, bio, whatever), participate in class and go to the review sessions, and ask then just ask the prof for a rec. If you don't think you can get a solid app together this cycle, keep on doing stuff over the next year to improve your chances of getting in- keep volunteering, learn a foreign language, etc. etc. and apply in 2007.

Also, be warned that relatively high MCAT score is not a golden ticket to med school....I know a guy with a 35Q, 3.2 GPA, and virtually no clinical experiences or ECs who is seriously looking into Carribean medical schools after being rejected 4 times by his state schools.

karirunner said:
Shoot for mid to high thirties on the MCAT/study your ass off; do everything you can to improve your GPA at this point; and start volunteering doing something that you find interesting. (If it is medically related, great; if not, it still shows that you are a "well-rounded individual" which admissions people seem to like.) To get a good LOR, take a small class in any discipline in which you have a genuine interest (English, humanities, bio, whatever), participate in class and go to the review sessions, and ask then just ask the prof for a rec. If you don't think you can get a solid app together this cycle, keep on doing stuff over the next year to improve your chances of getting in- keep volunteering, learn a foreign language, etc. etc. and apply in 2007.

Also, be warned that relatively high MCAT score is not a golden ticket to med school....I know a guy with a 35Q, 3.2 GPA, and virtually no clinical experiences or ECs who is seriously looking into Carribean medical schools after being rejected 4 times by his state schools.

thanks! that 35, 3.2 guy makes me really worried... yeah, i know gpa and mcat are the most important things. if my ec's are tainted it's possible that i would apply for another cycle(though i would find that very difficult and might even reconsider going into medicine), but at least mcat/gpa are good for life.

bolnoi said:

why medicine versus graduate work in biochem, then?

if your a soph there is still so much time to do memorable things. at every interview i've had, including the MD ones, the people interviewing me have been sooo incredibly complementary. i've heard comments about my "beautiful file" and "how competitive of an applicant i am". this is with a 3.35 science GPA and an 8 on the PS section of the MCAT. i took some time to do some neat EC stuff and i have been so rewarded for doing it. if you look around, unless you are a total tool, you should be able to find something that piques your interest that will also look good or unique to med schools. if you beef up your ECs, which is not so hard to do, you will not have to score so high on the MCAT because no matter how smart you are its a tricky test and scoring that high is usually more fluke-y than anything else.

Risa said:
why medicine versus graduate work in biochem, then?
why medicine, and not a nurse then??

crys20 said:
if your a soph there is still so much time to do memorable things. at every interview i've had, including the MD ones, the people interviewing me have been sooo incredibly complementary. i've heard comments about my "beautiful file" and "how competitive of an applicant i am". this is with a 3.35 science GPA and an 8 on the PS section of the MCAT. i took some time to do some neat EC stuff and i have been so rewarded for doing it. if you look around, unless you are a total tool, you should be able to find something that piques your interest that will also look good or unique to med schools. if you beef up your ECs, which is not so hard to do, you will not have to score so high on the MCAT because no matter how smart you are its a tricky test and scoring that high is usually more fluke-y than anything else.

no i am a junior. and i havent been involved in any fancy ec's for 5 semesters, so dont think i will be now...

bolnoi said:
Can anyone tell me how to ignore people? I've heard of it, but I thought it was an urban legend, like eskimos.
Thanks!

bolnoi said:
sorry i meant why medicine and not sanitation worker??

bolnoi said:

desiredusername said:

Agree with both of you. Where the hell's the ignore button

ps - i said the same thing about yale to my premed advisor, who started looking at me quizzically... haha

if you have a crappy gpa to begin with, what makes you think you're going to score really high on the mcat? There is a strong correlation to how well you do on the MCATs based on your college gpa. I'm not saying that you can't do it, but you can't just hope that you'll get a high mcat score. More likely than not, you would probably end up with a 30 mcat or so. THe point is, don't rely on the hope that IF you get a high mcat score you may get in because more likely than not (because odds are usually against you) it won't happen.

secondly, if you're doing crappy in college to begin with and you're a junior and you're saying you haven't done any e.c.s for 5 semester and you don't feel like doing it now, I would seriously consider an alternate path because you need to be very focused and determined to have a shot.

bolnoi said:

i was being serious, kiddo... it's would be a shame to go through everything become a doctor entails when what you really love is biochem.

now, i'm with the others on the ignoring. good luck figuring yourself out.

Hermit MMood said:
if you have a crappy gpa to begin with, what makes you think you're going to score really high on the mcat? There is a strong correlation to how well you do on the MCATs based on your college gpa. I'm not saying that you can't do it, but you can't just hope that you'll get a high mcat score. More likely than not, you would probably end up with a 30 mcat or so. THe point is, don't rely on the hope that IF you get a high mcat score you may get in because more likely than not (because odds are usually against you) it won't happen.

secondly, if you're doing crappy in college to begin with and you're a junior and you're saying you haven't done any e.c.s for 5 semester and you don't feel like doing it now, I would seriously consider an alternate path because you need to be very focused and determined to have a shot.

because i know how important mcat is. i dont think i deserve a spot in medical school if i dont do well on the mcat... but if i do well, then what happens? how well? Anyway the poster that was most helpful is the one that brought up a story of 35,3.2 getting rejected everywhere, so yeah, i'm worried...

you sitll have this semester (finish off well on finals, just do it), next semester, next year. You have at least 1.5 semesters to counterbalance that 3.2. Aim for a 4.0, it is definitely doable. I would take 2 science classes and probably a lot of bull**** classes classes to boost your gpa. I hear that nutrition is pretty easy.

If you don't get in next year, you have the year after that, and the year after that. Average age for matriculated student to med. school is like 23 I believe. So you have plenty of time to boost your gpa.

And although taking lots of easy classes might be frowned upon, it still gets you past that initial hurdle of being eliminated through the mcat/gpa barrier