MCAT Scores: Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansen44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking about sending in my primary with a poor MCAT score (7 BS, 7VR, 10PS=24O). Its a long story but I was distracted and can do better. What I am wondering is do you think I should send in my primary in the beginning of June and state I will be retaking the MCAT in July. I have heard that some schools will just send out secondaries without MCAT scores, so I am thinking they might still send out the secondary know I will be retaking. Do you think this is risky. I would like to be working on secondaries while waiting for my new MCAT (2nd attempt) scores to come in. What do you guys think? Your advice woudl be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

unless you are a urm, I would not apply to MD schools with that mcat.

unless you are a urm, I would not apply to MD schools with that mcat.

I have to ask what is a urm? I dont mean that I am going to apply with a 24 and hope to get in. I am have been told by other applicants that they sent in their primary without a MCAT score and regardless they recieved secondaries that they could start on till their scores came out. Would this happen to me if I told them I am retaking. They would see ok he is retaking, either we will hold the application, not care and deny me, or send me a secondary because they are all about the money which numerous schools do. Then before submitting those few secondaries I could update my app with goal score of atleast a 30. This was my practice range before, I just fell apart I guess. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
URM= Under represented minority

BS you can bring up pretty easy. Just know your organic chem like the back of your hand. Verbal however, is tough. I got a 7 in it myself.

So I am thinking about sending in my primary with a poor MCAT score (7 BS, 7VR, 10PS=24O). Its a long story but I was distracted and can do better. What I am wondering is do you think I should send in my primary in the beginning of June and state I will be retaking the MCAT in July. I have heard that some schools will just send out secondaries without MCAT scores, so I am thinking they might still send out the secondary know I will be retaking. Do you think this is risky. I would like to be working on secondaries while waiting for my new MCAT (2nd attempt) scores to come in. What do you guys think? Your advice woudl be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would like to know the answer to this myself. I did low on my first MCAT, but will be retaking in July. Will they just place us on hold until they see the 2nd score? I am worried they will just flat out reject us based upon our 1st score.

i was wondering this as well since i am also retaking in July

If you are retaking, I would not apply this cycle. Wait till you get your scores from the retest and then decide where to apply. If you second set of scores are the same it would not be worth applying.