MCAT Self- Study, Missing Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamerCNM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice as to how to study for the MCAT, having taken only general chemistry 1, biochemistry, general biology 1+2, but NOT organic chemistry or physics. I'm planning to apply to one school only (early decision), one who's mission fits me and my experiences perfectly. I'm an experienced self- study, I'm just unsure of the way to start studying for this monstrous exam.

PLEASE NOTE: please do not try and tell me that I'm making a terrible decision. I'm well aware of the risk I'm taking, both taking the MCAT without prerequisites and only applying to one school. It's a choice that works for me and my family.

I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice as to how to study for the MCAT, having taken only general chemistry 1, biochemistry, general biology 1+2, but NOT organic chemistry or physics. I'm planning to apply to one school only (early decision), one who's mission fits me and my experiences perfectly. I'm an experienced self- study, I'm just unsure of the way to start studying for this monstrous exam.

PLEASE NOTE: please do not try and tell me that I'm making a terrible decision. I'm well aware of the risk I'm taking, both taking the MCAT without prerequisites and only applying to one school. It's a choice that works for me and my family.

I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!

I took it without physics 2 so I definitely agree it can be done with self study. That said, orgo is gonna be tough to teach yourself. I do think having a total lack of physics will be tough to overcome too. I'm not telling you youre making a terrible decision, but I would consider getting orgo 1 and physics 1 down before taking the MCAT. You're applying next cycle right? You could definitely take them and the MCAT by next June.

If youre not gonna heed that advice, I would recommend TPR materials and Khan academy for teaching yourself the new stuff.

I took it without physics 2 so I definitely agree it can be done with self study. That said, orgo is gonna be tough to teach yourself. I do think having a total lack of physics will be tough to overcome too. I'm not telling you youre making a terrible decision, but I would consider getting orgo 1 and physics 1 down before taking the MCAT. You're applying next cycle right? You could definitely take them and the MCAT by next June.

If youre not gonna heed that advice, I would recommend TPR materials and Khan academy for teaching yourself the new stuff.

That would honestly be the best path forward, problem is I work full time as an RN with a rotating schedule so I can't register for actual classes :(

That would honestly be the best path forward, problem is I work full time as an RN with a rotating schedule so I can't register for actual classes :(

I mean you NEED to take this courses before matriculating anyway, so it makes sense just to take them before the MCAT. Why are you so set on taking your MCAT this quickly?

You could look into online courses if you want, but be aware that some (very few) schools wont accept these as pre reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEASE NOTE: please do not try and tell me that I'm making a terrible decision.

Guess what? I'm ignoring this part right here.

You cannot apply without completing your prerequisite courses. That includes organic chemistry and physics. Let's run a scenario...
  • You take the MCAT in March 2018. Awesome. You get your score back in April, 515! That showed all them nay-sayers.
  • Its May! Submit that early decision app.
  • You hear back from your one and only school: rejected application because of missing prerequisite courses both in the application and your academic transcripts. Looks like org chem and physics are missing.
  • Now what? You'll be considered a re-applicant with a bad first impression (who submits an incomplete application anyways?).
  • Now you're out $500+ and you've got to get your prereqs done and new application submitted before March 2021. Which realistically means May 2020.
  • You finished everything by May 2020. You got great grades and you've worn yourself down since your fateful decision in the fall of 2017.
  • You submit your app again. You reworked your personal statement too. Your one and only school gets the new application, everything looks great.
  • Except wait a second, there's a flag in their system. You're a reapplicant with a bad first impression. That's not good.
  • They put you on the maybe stack, or they ask for your secondaries so they can get more money. And then put you on the maybe stack. Or the waitlist. And the whole time you're wondering where it went wrong...

Going to be blunt to you since you "know" its a terrible decision.

Reality check: You will severely harm any chance of getting into that school by pushing forward with this. The med school doesn't care at all if they're the perfect fit for you and your family. They don't care if you applied to their school only. Your experience matches their mission perfectly? Do you think you're the only applicant ever that matches their mission perfectly? Big whoop buddy. Sorry but you're going to screw yourself and I REALLY don't want to see that happen. Take your damn prereqs. TAKE THEM. Get off your rotating schedule, talk to your coworkers and swap shifts, find a new job, whatever it takes because you NEED formal credited classes at something that isn't a community or virtual college in order for application to even be considered.

You're already a non-trad. The application timeframe no longer matters. Get it done right, so you only need to get it done ONCE...

Unless there's some secret you're holding back, like you've got an in at the school, or a family member on the admissions committee, or they already told you that you don't need the courses because you're an RN at their teaching hospital and you're subbing in "work merit" or some other workaround you don't want to share because then everyone else would be doing it. If that's the case... what workaholic181 said will work.

Guess what? I'm ignoring this part right here.

You cannot apply without completing your prerequisite courses. That includes organic chemistry and physics. Let's run a scenario...
  • You take the MCAT in March 2018. Awesome. You get your score back in April, 515! That showed all them nay-sayers.
  • Its May! Submit that early decision app.
  • You hear back from your one and only school: rejected application because of missing prerequisite courses both in the application and your academic transcripts. Looks like org chem and physics are missing.
  • Now what? You'll be considered a re-applicant with a bad first impression (who submits an incomplete application anyways?).
  • Now you're out $500+ and you've got to get your prereqs done and new application submitted before March 2021. Which realistically means May 2020.
  • You finished everything by May 2020. You got great grades and you've worn yourself down since your fateful decision in the fall of 2017.
  • You submit your app again. You reworked your personal statement too. Your one and only school gets the new application, everything looks great.
  • Except wait a second, there's a flag in their system. You're a reapplicant with a bad first impression. That's not good.
  • They put you on the maybe stack, or they ask for your secondaries so they can get more money. And then put you on the maybe stack. Or the waitlist. And the whole time you're wondering where it went wrong...

Going to be blunt to you since you "know" its a terrible decision.

Reality check: You will severely harm any chance of getting into that school by pushing forward with this. The med school doesn't care at all if they're the perfect fit for you and your family. They don't care if you applied to their school only. Your experience matches their mission perfectly? Do you think you're the only applicant ever that matches their mission perfectly? Big whoop buddy. Sorry but you're going to screw yourself and I REALLY don't want to see that happen. Take your damn prereqs. TAKE THEM. Get off your rotating schedule, talk to your coworkers and swap shifts, find a new job, whatever it takes because you NEED formal credited classes at something that isn't a community or virtual college in order for application to even be considered.

You're already a non-trad. The application timeframe no longer matters. Get it done right, so you only need to get it done ONCE...

Unless there's some secret you're holding back, like you've got an in at the school, or a family member on the admissions committee, or they already told you that you don't need the courses because you're an RN at their teaching hospital and you're subbing in "work merit" or some other workaround you don't want to share because then everyone else would be doing it. If that's the case... what workaholic181 said will work.

Thanks for replying! In fact, the school I'm applying to only requires general chemistry 1+2, general biology 1+2 and 2 semesters of English, all of which I have.

Thanks for replying! In fact, the school I'm applying to only requires general chemistry 1+2, general biology 1+2 and 2 semesters of English, all of which I have.

Things like that matter.

In that case... You can definitely teach yourself org chem and physics by next March. Khan Academy videos are essentially mini-lectures. Check out Coursera; lots of free courses there. One poster recommended the Duke lectures as being particularly excellent. And of course YouTube.

If you're going to teach yourself Phyiscs and Org Chem, I actually suggest TBR. Berkeley Review is one of the best in the business, and the depth of material is exactly what you need.

I am going to suggest a guy called "Free-lance Teacher." He has videos covering Physics, Chemistry, Orgo, and a small amount of Biochem (I suggest Moof University for Biochem). Anyways, the Free-lance teacher guy is SUPER in-depth. By in-depth I mean, you will want to gouge your eyes out at some points, but he turns everything into the "big picture." Which is helpful for the whole MCAT business. Also, check out Clutch Prep! They charge around $30.00 a month. They are an up-and-coming tutoring service and they teach alongside multiple books. Plus, if you are feeling froggy they have an MCAT course that cost $100.00/month. If you need any other suggestions feel free to pm me.

Things like that matter.

In that case... You can definitely teach yourself org chem and physics by next March. Khan Academy videos are essentially mini-lectures. Check out Coursera; lots of free courses there. One poster recommended the Duke lectures as being particularly excellent. And of course YouTube.

If you're going to teach yourself Phyiscs and Org Chem, I actually suggest TBR. Berkeley Review is one of the best in the business, and the depth of material is exactly what you need.

You're so helpful! Thank you!!

I am going to suggest a guy called "Free-lance Teacher." He has videos covering Physics, Chemistry, Orgo, and a small amount of Biochem (I suggest Moof University for Biochem). Anyways, the Free-lance teacher guy is SUPER in-depth. By in-depth I mean, you will want to gouge your eyes out at some points, but he turns everything into the "big picture." Which is helpful for the whole MCAT business. Also, check out Clutch Prep! They charge around $30.00 a month. They are an up-and-coming tutoring service and they teach alongside multiple books. Plus, if you are feeling froggy they have an MCAT course that cost $100.00/month. If you need any other suggestions feel free to pm me.

I will definitely check out this freelancer guy! Thank you!