MCAT selfprep or other free resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineisforme

Reaction score
Has anyone used mcatselfprep? Is it any good - referring to the free version. Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for good free mcat prep resources?

My plan is to purchase the Kaplan 7 prep test set when the newest one comes out next month.
I am aware of Khan Academy and I am using them some, but I find their style isn't the best for me generally.
I have not completed the chemistry and physics related courses yet so I don't feel that it is worth it at this point to shell out tons (not sure in the future if I will) when I haven't learned half of the material yet. I would like to get started on the CARS, Psychology/Sociology part, and a bit of the Biology.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When do you plan to take the MCAT? If you haven't taken the chem/physics courses, it sounds like you won't be taking it for a while. If that's the case, I would honestly hold off on studying until you're about 6 months out from your test.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I only used Kaplan & KA for review. I would also suggest using Anki deck to either create your own personalized flash cards or download other people’s Anki deck floating somewhere online. For CARS, I used Jack Westin & KA passages to practice timing. Finally, use those free diagnostics online, if you want to get a feel of the real MCAT.

When do you plan to take the MCAT? If you haven't taken the chem/physics courses, it sounds like you won't be taking it for a while. If that's the case, I would honestly hold off on studying until you're about 6 months out from your test.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I have found that I especially do much better and have a much better understanding of a topic if I cover it over a longer period and a slower pace in addition to something that I find even more important is that when I've taken a course and then done the same or similar again it came so much more easily to me so I am hoping to do a similar thing here. Dare I say I'm hoping that if I work on it for long enough then P/S & the CARS sections I'm hoping will just be so much easier and more natural for me and then the hardcore sciences I'll put more time into later on and they will be fresher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only used Kaplan & KA for review. I would also suggest using Anki deck to either create your own personalized flash cards or download other people’s Anki deck floating somewhere online. For CARS, I used Jack Westin & KA passages to practice timing. Finally, use those free diagnostics online, if you want to get a feel of the real MCAT.
Thanks, great advice!
I know that med students def use ANKI but it seems that people use them for mcat prep too.

If it is going to be a while before you take the MCAT I would recommend signing up for a MCAT question of the day service. This will give you an idea of the types of questions you will be asked but doesn’t require you to spend hours studying so for that reason I think it is helpful. Here are some link for those:

Questions 1

Questions 2

If you want some free MCAT resources here are a few of those:

WikiPreMed
MCAT-Review
MCAT Book

I agree with @MedSchoolTutors only focus on hard core studying until you are 6 months out at least.

Hope that helps.

As someone who is sitting on one waitlist space hoping and praying for some act of God to help, I just submitted my primary a second time, just in case. I took the MCAT twice and got scores I am very happy with, except for CARS 1.0, which totally sucked and hurt my app. I have spent over $6000 on the application process so far. Saving $500 on MCAT preparation is so not important when you look at the big picture. If something is going to help you get a better score, then spend the money.

I self studied the first time and spent around $1500 and 600 hours at least. The second time I spent $1600 on a course and maybe 300 hours studying. I do not regret a penny of what I spent because I used the best materials and got strong scores (516 and 519). I used the materials from the SDN 100-day plan with some minor tweeks. Had I used other materials, I definitely would have not scored as high. My point is that you should get the best, not the cheapest, Never, ever be frugal when it comes to AAMC materials. Get everything AAMC sells! When it comes to study books, buy the ones with the most questions and best explanations. You'll be glad you did.

I totally get that when the time comes to do really hard core studying (which won't be for prob a little over a year) then I'll invest, but I haven't done enough science prereqs that it warrants investing in study programs yet - I'm working on the CARS section right now and planning soon to do like the psychology/sociology stuff.

Where do people get the money for all of the application stuff???
I'll prob create another thread for this but I've been wondering where on earth does the money come from because most college students (myself included) are broke, and I don't qualify for aid and needs based stuff cuz my parents have assets and I'm considered a dependent, but they can't chip in a lot. So my question remains where do people get the money to pay for the applications, MCAT prep, travelling to interviews, once in medical school living expenses, etc?
Nevermind that I'm not even bringing in enough money to keep myself afloat and make some purchases that I really need nevermind putting away in savings.

Best of luck with getting in!

Khan Academy just announced they'll be retiring the MCAT course end of September unfortunately. Hoping it doesn't happen.

I totally get that when the time comes to do really hard core studying (which won't be for prob a little over a year) then I'll invest, but I haven't done enough science prereqs that it warrants investing in study programs yet - I'm working on the CARS section right now and planning soon to do like the psychology/sociology stuff.

Where do people get the money for all of the application stuff???
I'll prob create another thread for this but I've been wondering where on earth does the money come from because most college students (myself included) are broke, and I don't qualify for aid and needs based stuff cuz my parents have assets and I'm considered a dependent, but they can't chip in a lot. So my question remains where do people get the money to pay for the applications, MCAT prep, travelling to interviews, once in medical school living expenses, etc?
Nevermind that I'm not even bringing in enough money to keep myself afloat and make some purchases that I really need nevermind putting away in savings.

Best of luck with getting in!
If your parents have income and/or assets and are unable or unwilling to help, you are going to need massive loans for school, unless you can score a merit scholarship. Application and MCAT expenses are going to come from savings (if you have any), earnings or credit cards if you can qualify. None of it will be subsidized or waived if you you don't qualify for aid.

Most people in your situation either get help from family or get a job to pay for this. As you are starting to see, MCAT prep (with or without a formal course), application fees, travel, etc. literally ends up being many thousands of dollars before you are done.

If your parents have income and/or assets and are unable or unwilling to help, you are going to need massive loans for school, unless you can score a merit scholarship. Application and MCAT expenses are going to come from savings (if you have any), earnings or credit cards if you can qualify. None of it will be subsidized or waived if you you don't qualify for aid.

Most people in your situation either get help from family or get a job to pay for this. As you are starting to see, MCAT prep (with or without a formal course), application fees, travel, etc. literally ends up being many thousands of dollars before you are done.
82E36D56-751D-4BE6-ABA3-55CC2AC0E70B.jpeg

I know, but I don't understand if it's a known thing that college students are broke and can't keep their head above the water financially and that's even with working, what do they do??? It seems like the answer is nothing except take out more loans? Anyway when I get a little closer I'll start a thread on it but as it seems right now there is no solution.

WHAT!!!?????
What's the benefit of doing that????

No idea. They are getting a ton of backlash for it. The originally planned date was in July, but they delayed to complete testing year just from the backlash they've received. I guess the content would be available with AAMC for purchase maybe? I don't know much about it, but it's sad as this was the bridging the gap for pre-meds that can't afford thousands on other lectures/materials.

EDIT: I read Jack Westin would be transferring their materials and keeping it free, but unsure what's to happen. 2020 just continues to get worse.

Reactions: 1 user
I know, but I don't understand if it's a known thing that college students are broke and can't keep their head above the water financially and that's even with working, what do they do??? It seems like the answer is nothing except take out more loans? Anyway when I get a little closer I'll start a thread on it but as it seems right now there is no solution.
Yeah, there are multiple posts every year about it. As trite as it sounds, it is what it is.

Adcoms will tell you they don't solicit donations to subsidize students whose parents can but refuse to subsidize them. Those funds are meant for those whose parents cannot subsidize them.

Of course college students are broke. But, the education is very expensive and someone has to pay for it. In the old days, that meant your parents, or you took out loans. Nowadays, funding is available at many schools for students whose parents have modest means, but there is no funding for 22+ year olds who consider themselves independent but whose parents have money. The application costs you are asking about are merely the tiny tip of a very expensive iceberg. NYU has created a model that addresses your point. So far, no other school has gone so far, and neither has AAMC or the schools with respect to application costs.