MCAT Study Material - Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambition94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to sit for the MCAT this upcoming May. I was able to get TPR from a friend of mine that used it for her MCAT and my parents bought me Kaplan's books for my birthday. I wanted to know what some of you thought about using either of the material.
Pros/cons?
Is one better in one section than the other?
I have heard that Kaplan is GREAT for the psych/soc, is that true?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I started off with using Kaplan material, but then decided to enroll in TPR course and found that I much preferred their books instead. That being said, the content in the books overlap quite a bit so it doesn't really matter which one you use, though I would recommend you branch out for CARS - I've heard that Examkrackers/Next step are fairly good. Additionally, Khan Academy was a solid resource for the psych/soc section.

Kaplan and TPR are same level. Between those two materials, it comes down to which one YOU prefer.

That's the "least helpful" answer in terms of what you're looking for, but it's the "best" answer in terms of what will get you the best score in May.

Supplement with AAMC Qbanks/FLs, NS/Altius FLs, daily CARS passages, and Khan Academy, and you'll be good to go. Don't forget to rotate subjects.

I have heard that EK is great for CARS so I was planning on using their material for that section, along with whatever else I can get my hands on from AAMC. Some friends of mine used Altius for their practice tests and had nothing but good things to say about it. This encouraged me to use them for my prep.

Members don't see this ad :)