MCAT Study question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fun1nth3sun1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I complete an AAMC FL practice exam in the beginning of my studying to assess which subject I should focus on or wait until I am further along in my content review?
Is it worth it to take the AAMC FL very early on in studying.
I thought that it would be a good indicator to see if I am improving in my study so I would know where to focus my studying. But when I started taking the C/P sections I started having second thoughts because that was my worst section...

Members don't see this ad.

@Fun1nth3sun1
I personally think it is a good idea to take an indicator test to see where you're are most weak content wise, and if C/P is your worst section then that is perfectly fine. It is all in an effort to help yourself prepare for the MCAT. Also keep in mind that you may not be used to how the style of the questions are, how things are worded, etc. so don't beat yourself up about it too much if you don't perform near where you thought you would score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd take a few third party full lengths before attacking the official AAMCs

Just wanted to update you all...So I decided to take the full length practice AAMC 1 and my score was an abysmal 477. I am feeling very discouraged as I thought I would get somewhere close to the 490 range at least. I think I would be lucky if I even get a 500 at this point. Is it possible to bring my score up at all?! I am reviewing OChem right now and it takes me hours upon hours just to review a 50 question exam just because there`s so much information in the answer portion that I didn`t know. I am trying to take the April 13 MCAT..now I dont know if I have enough time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it's a very low score - you are at the 1% percentile. You have a little more than 3 full months to study. If you can dedicate every single day to studying all the way to the test date, then maybe.

What is your GPA like?

You should never take an AAMC exam at the start of studying. If anything take the sample test instead of one of the offical FLs. Or even better take a 3rd party diagnostic exam. You just wasted a valuable exam that can assess your performance closer to the exam.

Stop taking any more AAMC exams as you are wasting them. Finish content review, do a lot of practice passages, do third-party practice exams (and review them thoroughly and understand the reasons behind correct answers) and then when you're scoring well (ideally 510+ but 500+ is OK), you can take AAMC practice exams and review them thoroughly to prepare for test day.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Leave the AAMC FL 2 and 3 for end game studying

2. Take the free diagnostics from Kaplan, Princeton and anyone else (notice FREE) ... use this as a guide for where you are lacking in content knowledge; not for the score as it's irrelevant right now; content is your weak spot; frankly, MOST people's content is fairly weak going into the MCAT prep work; NOT because the people are dumb, or lack the knowledge but because of HOW the MCAT tests the knowledge. It's not a memorize and barf out the expected answer, or studying from old tests... it's a compilation of all the sciences in one passage/question.

How to review:

1. Take each and every question you got wrong and write down WHY you got it wrong; was it content you did not know? thought you knew? never heard of? guessed but got it right? Then write that down, go onto the next question you got wrong or guessed and got correct; this is painstakingly slowwwww and it should be; this is your greatest area for improvement. Presuming you've done well enough in your coursework, much of this should be just remembering the original material and reviewing it

As an example: I got an A in orgo - I did not memorize every reaction but rather learned what danced with what and what stayed away from another molecule and so on; however, I could not tell you what order the hierarchy goes in (Carbos, anhydride, esters, alde/ketone, kyne/kene/kane) until yesterday... sure, I learned it once upon a time but for the exam? nope, forgot so I had to relearn it; I also sort of kind of remember something about some water physics thingy and how gravity impacts things differently in water or something BUT to take a test on it right now? over a year out of any type of physics? I'd fail. (A+ in physics in coursework) So, I review; I make a note card, I draw diagrams, I review graphing of a/v/displacement/etc.

2. Purchase some other full length exams from EK, Kaplan or whoever to take and do the above each week; also do the section bank (SBs) from AAMC and do the above

3. Three weeks out from exam date take AAMC FL 2 and do the above ... if you are not scoring on that exam somewhere around where you want to be then you have to decide - continue for April 19 or delay. If you are within a point or 2 then take the time to review review review and then take AAMC FL3 the week before the actual exam.

You have time. Yes, the score on the FL 1 was low but it is what it is. Now you can choose to do what you must or not.

O
1. Leave the AAMC FL 2 and 3 for end game studying

2. Take the free diagnostics from Kaplan, Princeton and anyone else (notice FREE) ... use this as a guide for where you are lacking in content knowledge; not for the score as it's irrelevant right now; content is your weak spot; frankly, MOST people's content is fairly weak going into the MCAT prep work; NOT because the people are dumb, or lack the knowledge but because of HOW the MCAT tests the knowledge. It's not a memorize and barf out the expected answer, or studying from old tests... it's a compilation of all the sciences in one passage/question.

How to review:

1. Take each and every question you got wrong and write down WHY you got it wrong; was it content you did not know? thought you knew? never heard of? guessed but got it right? Then write that down, go onto the next question you got wrong or guessed and got correct; this is painstakingly slowwwww and it should be; this is your greatest area for improvement. Presuming you've done well enough in your coursework, much of this should be just remembering the original material and reviewing it

As an example: I got an A in orgo - I did not memorize every reaction but rather learned what danced with what and what stayed away from another molecule and so on; however, I could not tell you what order the hierarchy goes in (Carbos, anhydride, esters, alde/ketone, kyne/kene/kane) until yesterday... sure, I learned it once upon a time but for the exam? nope, forgot so I had to relearn it; I also sort of kind of remember something about some water physics thingy and how gravity impacts things differently in water or something BUT to take a test on it right now? over a year out of any type of physics? I'd fail. (A+ in physics in coursework) So, I review; I make a note card, I draw diagrams, I review graphing of a/v/displacement/etc.

2. Purchase some other full length exams from EK, Kaplan or whoever to take and do the above each week; also do the section bank (SBs) from AAMC and do the above

3. Three weeks out from exam date take AAMC FL 2 and do the above ... if you are not scoring on that exam somewhere around where you want to be then you have to decide - continue for April 19 or delay. If you are within a point or 2 then take the time to review review review and then take AAMC FL3 the week before the actual exam.

You have time. Yes, the score on the FL 1 was low but it is what it is. Now you can choose to do what you must or not.

One positive thing I got from taking the AAMC was that Chem/Physics section was actually my best subject. I thought it would be my lowest subject due to OChem but I realized only 10-20% of the questions will be Ochem in that section. Most of it was just due to not knowing Structures and things like that. I feel like I could improve in that section pretty easily..as Chemistry is normally my favorite subject. But I definitely wont be taking any more AAMC practice tests until few weeks before the test date. All the other sections of the MCAT were all equally balanced and low. I will focus on increasing Bio/Biochem CARS and Psych/Sociology. Thanks for the tips! I was wondering do you have any recommendations for study books for CARS or Psych/Sociology? I am currently using the Berkeley Review for the science subjects

Stop taking any more AAMC exams as you are wasting them. Finish content review, do a lot of practice passages, do third-party practice exams (and review them thoroughly and understand the reasons behind correct answers) and then when you're scoring well (ideally 510+ but 500+ is OK), you can take AAMC practice exams and review them thoroughly to prepare for test day.
Yes no more AAMC Practice tests! I will focus on content review for now and practice questions

Honestly, it's a very low score - you are at the 1% percentile. You have a little more than 3 full months to study. If you can dedicate every single day to studying all the way to the test date, then maybe.

What is your GPA like?
My post-bacc gpa is 3.9. My undergrad gpa is low :(

Oh wow thank you for letting me know. That's weird though even the AAMC website says orgo is only supposed to be up to 20% of the questions on the chem/physics section. I guess I would rather be overprepared than under prepared though!!

Last edited by a moderator:
While the percentages do have averages across exams, that is just an average. Some may have one Orgo question, some may have 20. Same goes for every subject. Do NOT study proportionally and do NOT study just high yield. Study everything equally.