MCAT studying vs. score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diogenes

Succat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's see how studying correlates to scores....

Members don't see this ad.

So far (18 votes), no one is willing to admit a score lower than 25. C'mon, this is an anonymous poll. I know not every SDNer scores higher than the national mean...

We should submit this pole to those people who try to prove that it's not necessarily how much you know, but how well you take standardized tests that really matters. Maybe they'll try to get rid of the MCAT, as they are the SAT in California. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
DUde,

That's the worst friggin scale I HAVE EVER SEEN!

You want to lump together people who have 25 to 34????

That's NINE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!

Come on!

At least do it with increments of 4 or something

less tahn 24
25-28
29-32
33-36
>36

Will it let you do that?

Scooby

my rational was that the whole scale should be evenly represented, and that I shouldn't use too many divisions. So I divided it into 4 parts,
below 15 is really bad, 15-24 is below the mean, 25-35 is above the mean, and over 35 is really good.

I have to agree with Scooby--that range (25-34) is absurdly large--this is probably where most competitive applicants actually score.

A 34 is significantly better than a 30 , which is MUCH better than a 25. The differences between a 25 and a 30 can move you from a very middle/low tier medical school to a top tier med school.

I am really not trying to offend anyone, but rather trying to make a factual statement about scores. Incedentially, you're rationale that you don't want too many options doesn't make sense...what would one or two more options do--freak us out--if we're going to vote on the poll, having more options will not make people less inclined to vote, I guarantee it. (and I am not trying to sound like George Zimmer from the Men's Wherehouse--not that there's anything wrong with that!) :wink:

GG16

One of the things I really wanted to see was how much people that got 35+ studied. I also wanted to see how many people would admit to scoring below the mean. So I selfishly made a poll that would serve my interests, and not one that would provide the most useful information for all. You are right that there are huge differences between a 25 and a 34. I don't dispute that at all.

Probably the poll that would be most useful to SDNers altogether would be one that broke down study time roughly like I did (perhaps a couple more divisions), but broke down scores like this: 36+, 33-36. 30-33, 27-30, 24-27, 21-24, and below 21. But the polls are tedious to make, so I'm not going to make a new one right now. Someone else can if they hate mine all that much.

i think the overall message to the Newbies (see i do care :D ) is to study more than one month. by the way

at least 3 people lied!!!! :D

I dunno know...I have two friends that in all honesty didn't make any special attempt to study for the MCAT, and they did fabulous on the MCAT! How do I know...well we practically hung out 24/7 in undergrad, so we knew what the other was always up to. There are some rare freaks like that out there....too bad I'm not one. :)

A. Caveman

I think you're wrong. There is no indication in the data now present in the poll (83 responses) that studying impacts the score. In a poll with more divisions, you might see that, but in this poll at this time there is no indication of an advantage by studying.

And 3 people didn't lie. I know for a fact that at least one of those people told the truth.

I didn't study at all for the MCAT, took it nearly 5 years ago now and scored a 31. I got that flowers review book with good intentions on going through it, but never did. I did take a lot of my biochem classes and physics recently before I took the MCAT so I'm sure that helped a lot.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bjc:
•A. Caveman

I think you're wrong. There is no indication in the data now present in the poll (83 responses) that studying impacts the score. In a poll with more divisions, you might see that, but in this poll at this time there is no indication of an advantage by studying.

And 3 people didn't lie. I know for a fact that at least one of those people told the truth.•••••Run a chi-squared test, then you'll know.