MCAT studying while working full/time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you manage it?
Any tips, tricks?

I guess it's just Sleep , eat, studyMCAT, work.

I realize that although I love going to the library, going there, parking and walking over to the lib and then driving back on a weekday night is just too much for me. I can go there on Saturdays but that's it.

I also realized that having a good sleep schedule, packing lunch, exercising, meditations (anything to maintain good mental health) is key.

I know that it's going to hard in the beginning: I might want to try taking a nap right after work (or exercise maybe better) and just open the MCAT books. It will fall into place slowly but surely

Studying during weeknights: lots of ways to easily skip it but the more I do, the easier it will be.

Members don't see this ad.

When are you planning on taking the MCAT2015?

I will start studying next month... I want to take the one in May. I'll be working 40 hours/ week, and I plan on studying the MCAT for 3 hours/ day weekdays and 5 h/day on the weekend.

It is a marathon not a sprint. The most important thing is to make a schedule and stick to it. Don't forget to schedule in some leisure time or wiggle room for if you get sick. I did Kaplan online (many years ago) and essentially followed the same schedule at home as the class did. I think it came out to an hour or two a day and then multiple hours on weekends. I was able to keep this up no problem for 5 months of studying, working full time, taking the lab portion of a pre-req (microbiology), and dating a horrible non-supportive (ex)girlfriend. My MCAT score from this was extremely competitive (95% percentile or so) so this is not just a recipe for mediocrity. It feels like a lot but you can really kick butt on the MCAT even with a full schedule.

I had a home office so did most of my studying at home, but go wherever you need to for staying focused. Exercise is crucial IMHO -- helps you focus better when you study and helps work out the stress.

Good luck.

- chooks

You really need 6 months of serious studying before the exam to do well on the exam. I suggest you reorganize your schedule where you exercise in the morning, go to work, take a 30 minute nap sitting in a chair if you feel tired, then 2 hours of studying for mcat, relax by watching something before you sleep.

My plan when I worked: I woke up at 5:30, exercised, went to work at 7, came home at 6, watched tv and made dinner, 7:30-9:30 study, 9:30-10:30 watch a tv show, sleep 11:00.